Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A better wide field Andromeda Galaxy

Much happier with this one, taken last night whilst dodging cloud, than my previous attempt. The focus is much better, to the point where I can see now that there's a small amount of star trailing unfortunately :( Still, it's progress.

10 x 4min exposures @ ISO800, stacked with five darks, unmodded Canon 450D with a 200mm f/2.8L on an unguided EQ3-2. No filters and just a bit of histogram stretching in Photoshop.

andromeda-small1.png

James

Some day I'll want to image DSO's. Right now I'm happy snapping photo's of the moon and sun and planets but some day I'll want my own andromeda. And I'll have you lot to blame for it ;)

That's how the Dark Side works :)

James

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

From a quick check of the RAW files it looks like it was f/4.0. Not sure why I didn't use f/2.8, but I'm just feeling my way with this at the moment. Opportunities have been fairly thin on the ground this year :(

James

How do you find locating Andromeda, do you use bins and try and pin point it from there?

It's a naked eye object from home, so mostly I align the camera by eye and then take a few shots to get the framing right. I have made an RDF mount to fit the hot shoe on my 450D now, but since then we've had a grand total of absolutely no clear nights whatsoever, so it is as yet untested :(

James

Archived