Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Only one eyepiece, which one would it be?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

roby

roby

Vacuum

• New Members
  • 3 posts
Hi Everybody, first post, be gentle with me.

My fabulous girlfiriend has brought me a SW skytravel 80mm scope on an EQ1, and I love it! (shame about the weather of course) she now wants to buy me something for the scope, an accessory. So I think an eyepiece would be in order, but which one, the choice is bewildering.

I have the 2 EP's that come with the scope (10mm and 25mm supers) but need a little advice as to what to go for as a suitable additon and the start of a collection. I would like one in the £20-£40 range, and something that suits the scope. I am edging towards a wide-field type as I love the idea of scanning starfields and perhaps a little wide-field photography later on.

So any help/advice/recomendations would be of great help.

thanks in advance
Rob

ronin

ronin

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,255 posts
For £20-40 that really means a plossl and the obvious one is the Vixen NPL at £30 or £40.

They do a 25mm, 30mm and 40mm. Since you have a 25mm that leaves 30mm or 40mm. Both will have a similar field of view so the 30mm seems sensible

The 30mm and 40mm are both £40 from FLO.

nightfisher

nightfisher

Sub Giant

• Moderators
  • 8,385 posts
Look at the GSO/Revelation 32mm plossl, this should give superb wide field panning views, about £30

jules
Skymax 150 pro......TAL100RS...150p ds...Orion 90mm f5 mak...Swift839...some lovely ortho`s and a couple of mounts

"Refracting and reflecting light"

"Just on the border of your waking mind there lies...another time where darkness and light are one, and as you tread the  halls of sanity you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond....i have a message from another time"   prologue by ELO 

spaceboy

spaceboy

Main Sequence

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 6,338 posts
Only one eyepiece, which one would it be?

I'd get a zoom EP. http://www.acecamera...60/prodtype.asp At least this way you can figure out which magnifications work best and you can always upgrade at a later date.

RikM

RikM

Many Sequins

• Moderators
  • 6,940 posts
My favourite EP in the ST80 is 14mm 70° aFOV. This gives 29x magnification and almost 2.5° true field.
Rik
Skyliner 250PX; Explorer 150P; Televue Pronto; ST80; ES68°; Televue; Pentax XW; NEQ6 Pro; EQ3-2; AZ4; SXV-H9; QHY5; Canon 1000D: Sketches Deep Sky Images
Member of Cotswold AS "No anchovies unless otherwise specified. If conditions persist, consult your physician."

russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat

• Advanced Members
  • 1,420 posts

For £20-40 that really means a plossl and the obvious one is the Vixen NPL at £30 or £40.

They do a 25mm, 30mm and 40mm. Since you have a 25mm that leaves 30mm or 40mm. Both will have a similar field of view so the 30mm seems sensible

The 30mm and 40mm are both £40 from FLO.

I'd steer clear of 40mm in 1.25" - It can only have a 40deg FOV. It's like looking down a toilet roll.

Russell

Explore Scientific Ultra Light 305mm Dob : ED80 Apo Triplet : Bresser Messier AR127L & Exos 2 Goto

Explore Scientific ES82 8.8, 11, 14mm & 2x Focal Extender. Maxvision 68deg 16, 20, 24, 28, 34 & 40mm.
Altair Astro 10x60 RA Finder. 
Lunt 1.25" Herschel Wedge & Baader Solar Continuum.

John

John

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 24,752 posts
A 30/32mm plossl like the Vixen NPL or the GSO would play to the ST80's strengths as a wide field scope. As Russell says, a 40mm will show not more sky and has a rather constricted apparent field of view.

A 24mm super wide angle would show nearly as much sky as a 32mm plossl and the extra magnification would darken the background sky a bit but I don't think there is a decent one in your price range.

John

Scopes: 4" to 12"

Mounts: Alt-az and EQ

Eyepieces: 3mm to 31mm

Filters: A couple

" ...The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, and not how well made it is, it is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look though it…. "

John Dobson, 1915-2014   

Adz

Adz

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,662 posts
I would vote for Spaceboys recommendation of that practical zoom to base your further purchases from. The zooms normally perform better than people expect for something that adds so much practibility
200P, 10x50 Binos, 550D, 31Nag, 13Eth, 8Eth, 2xPM

roby

roby

Vacuum

• New Members
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the great advice everybody; taking on-board the toilet roll analogy, I am edging towards the GSO 32mm super plossl, although I am now paranoid about toilet roll eyepieces!

cheers Rob

LukeSkywatcher

LukeSkywatcher

Super Giant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,800 posts
The 32mm GSO is an absolute corker of an EP. It only has a 50 degree AFOV but it feels wider. Definitely my favourite EP ever used.

As other say..................steer clear of EP's that only have 40 degrees AFOV. Horrible view looking down the toilet roll.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher, 09 May 2012 - 06:00 PM.

Paul

8" Celestron SCT,Sky Watcher Heritage 130P,Celestron 90 EQ,Celestron 70 Travelscope,Horizon 8115 tripod,Hyperion 8-24mm zoom. UHC filter,OIII filter and shed load of other various EP's, Canon 450D.

WayBig

WayBig

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,307 posts
Personally I wouldn't want anything longer than 25mm in your scope (it is the 400mm focal length isn't it?).
So I would possibly upgrade the 25mm to a bst explorer 25mm, or go to the other end of the scale and get an eyepiece suited to planetary or high power lunar viewing - granted it's not the speciality of your scope, but you're not going to be able to resist a peek at saturn are you. So you could look at a 4mm ish tmb planetary clone, or possibly a 7mm ish one that could be barlowed.

Edited by WayBig, 09 May 2012 - 06:18 PM.

Chris
Scopes: Skywatcher 250 flextube auto, Startravel 120
EPs: SW Nirvana 28mm, Explore Scientific 82 14mm & 6.7mm, 5mm paradigm, Tal x2 x3
Messiers:93/110
Herts Astro Group: http://www.hertsastro.org.uk/

Doug

Doug

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,550 posts
Hi Rob
IMHO I would recommend a Meade series 32mm super Plossl eyepiece 1.25"
it has a 52*FOV and will give you are great view at £46.00 well worth the £6.00 and that is the new price ,you could always look on the second hand market
Doug

Meade LX90 8"ACF,Telescope ,Ep's Eyepieces Tele Vue Naglers 12mm, 17mm, 22mm T4s, Tele Vue Nagler 26mm t5 ,Pentax 7mm XW
Explore Scientific 9mm 100 fov, , Explore Scientific 14mm100 fov, Explore Scientific 20mm 100 fov ,Meade 18mm UWA, Meade 30mm UWA, Meade 5000 9mm, Meade 4000 15mm 26mm 32mm, Moonfish 30mm
Binoculars , Opticron 15x80 Observers, Ziess 10x50 MC Jena, Oberwerk Mariner 10x60, Canon IS 15x50 Image Stabilizer Binoculars wp, and Swift 16x50
Horizon 8115 tripod, filters Power Tank 17h filters ect

RikM

RikM

Many Sequins

• Moderators
  • 6,940 posts

Personally I wouldn't want anything longer than 25mm in your scope (it is the 400mm focal length isn't it?).

I agree with this. Even a wide angle 20mm isn't enough magnification to get much detail on anything. e.g. M36, 37, 38 all look better with that little bit more magnification.
Rik
Skyliner 250PX; Explorer 150P; Televue Pronto; ST80; ES68°; Televue; Pentax XW; NEQ6 Pro; EQ3-2; AZ4; SXV-H9; QHY5; Canon 1000D: Sketches Deep Sky Images
Member of Cotswold AS "No anchovies unless otherwise specified. If conditions persist, consult your physician."

russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat

• Advanced Members
  • 1,420 posts

Thanks for the great advice everybody; taking on-board the toilet roll analogy, I am edging towards the GSO 32mm super plossl, although I am now paranoid about toilet roll eyepieces!

cheers Rob

It's just a limitation imposed by the maximum field stop allowed by a 1.25" eyepiece. At 40mm, magnification is low, which means the subject matter is small, but due to the field stop restriction, you can't have a wide field of view to give you a panoramic view. Hence, it's like looking down a bog roll at a detailed, but very small image.

The GSO 32mm plossl is a good suggestion, but a BST Explorer/Starguider 25mm (£47) with it's wider FOV, plus a bit more magnification to darken the sky, will work well too. It wasn't happy in my 200mm F5 Newtonian, but seems to work well in the ST80 that I've kept as my grab 'n' go/holiday scope.

Russell

Explore Scientific Ultra Light 305mm Dob : ED80 Apo Triplet : Bresser Messier AR127L & Exos 2 Goto

Explore Scientific ES82 8.8, 11, 14mm & 2x Focal Extender. Maxvision 68deg 16, 20, 24, 28, 34 & 40mm.
Altair Astro 10x60 RA Finder. 
Lunt 1.25" Herschel Wedge & Baader Solar Continuum.

roby

roby

Vacuum

• New Members
  • 3 posts
Thanks everyone! i have ordered (via girlfriend) the GSO 32mm. I appreciate ALL the great advice, eyepieces are a minefield!!

I am a beginner so expect more stupid questions, like this one; Another friend wants to buy me a another item for my telescope (its my birthday BTW, its not that I am showered with gifts everyday from my friends) So I am thinking another EP, my scope, the SW ST80 comes with a 10mm a 25mm and soon I will have the 32mm, so should I go with an 8mm plossel? something for close-up planetary or is that crazy talk with a scope like mine, or filters for the 32mm or another vital accessory that I don't know that I need yet?

As usual, any advice hugely appreciated
cheers
Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users