Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Quarkenscope - the rebuild

Stu

Wow! That looks a cracking set up, Stu. Can't wait to hear how first light goes :smiley:

Let's hope so Rob!! The main question is whether the optics are up to the job. I'm not sure I will properly know until summer with the sun high in the sky. It's fun to work on though [emoji3]

One interesting point I will play around with is the focal ratio. The Quark works between f4 and f9, so I assume an optimum of around f6.5. I will try this with and without the x0.8 reducer (which takes it to f4).

I wonder whether an ideal config may end up being without the reducer and masked to 120mm which would be f6.25.....

I did try with a x0.5 reducer ahead of the Quark, and whilst it focused, the results were awful, proving the importance of the correct profile of light entering the Quark.

Pretty much finished this off today. One remaining question is the angle of tilt require on the D-ERF to avoid reflections.

Tube wrapped in Carbon effect vinyl. Entire OTA flocked internally including the dewshield. Extra flocking fitted so that the dewshield is a tight fit.

c5a1e21b5656d5204b843728c87fbb33.jpg

7386bcd170313e129417fb7b41024d4c.jpg

8656caeec1bef010a9d62136cc278514.jpg

53be83a9686bff6e95260c36bbe958e9.jpg

d3626f0fed2ea1ba7dce222a45f1a501.jpg

First light awaits, weather dependent but probably Tuesday. Some tweaking with the D-ERF and let's see what it does.

Stu

EDIT If I'm feeling racey, I have some red vinyl to add some go faster touches [emoji6]

All sorted, first light briefly before lunch today.

Stunning views of the lovely prominences on show today. Hopefully will get some more views this afternoon.

Next steps are to make some simple aperture masks to optimise use in different conditions. Probably 120mm & 100mm.

Very pleased with the results. It's a strange feeling having bright pinky/red light hitting your hand from the focus tube but no heat to it at all because of the internal D-ERF.

6732c965e0d74170affd4653e0497fb6.jpg

Stu

Excellent results optically and visually Stu, quite a transformation. I have just come in from at last getting first light through my Skywatcher ST80 fitted with a front mounted Coronado SM60 etalon and a BF15 diagonal. Very pleased with the performance, nice black background. full disc with loads of room to spare and well focused proms all round due to minimal sweet spot issues. It was a toss up between this or a Quark to compliment my much larger PST mods. The 400mm FL will give a full disc using a small chip video camera.   :smiley: 

Thanks Peter, I am pleased with the results. The seeing today seems better so the views are sharper. The contrast is nice, improved by the flocking and there is lovely detail in the prominences. Surface detail needs a bit of tuning of the Quark.

Glad your ST80 is performing well, sounds like a nice option.

Best view is definitely with the 32mm TV Plossl. The Denks have a focal reducer on them and with this I can get full disk views which is quite nice but I think it's better with just the single eyepiece and the 32mm.

This is one of my dodgy iPhone shots, hand held, to show the proms I'm looking at.

c445be385c6838c3fb86c5b75470ab26.jpg

Stu

Looks like a cracking job , and what a transformation with the carbon fibre effect vinyl, think you may have set off a lot of scope pimping.

Great views too, can't wait to see it at a star party (I'll use that term loosely on past record) soon. Those prominence's look good even on a dodgy I phone shot.

Great work Stu and keep up the good work

Damian

Archived