NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M13 attempt

shaunster

So ive had an attempt at M13, not quite a masterpeice like we've seen recently from TJ :)

I tried to get some star colour in and did OK I think, certainly more than ive managed before

Taken with 314l+ through zenithstar 70

20x2min R

13x2min G

7x2min B

7x5min L

Im pleased with the result considering not that much time was spent on it

shaunster-albums-astro-imaging-picture10584-m13.jpg

Hi Shaunster - That's a lovely M13... The propellor really stands out!

I haven't got a CCD (yet!), but when I do it's going to be the 314 - One question though... Is there any rule of thumb on how many images with each filter you need to take/use?

I haven't got a CCD (yet!), but when I do it's going to be the 314 - One question though... Is there any rule of thumb on how many images with each filter you need to take/use?

No rule as such, this is my trial and error really

I think imaging RGB through light pollution is pretty hard and the colour balances can be off so this is just my trial and error to see how it looks, I have found blue really dominates so I just use less exposures in blue now, and red was really lacking so use more in red..

This (and all my images) were imaged from gosport and my house sits about 1 or 2 miles from central portsmouth and the light pollution is really bad but I have found I can get reasonable RGB results, however narrowband is my main targets come summer, autumn and winter

good show,

are the letters next to the exposure times the colour filters you use or do theyu mean something else? sorry for question but i haven't done any imagery yet so i'm trying to learn what things mean before i have a go.

cheers,

Adamski

Thanks Shaunster - I guess it'll be trial and error for me too then (as and when).

Adamski - L = Luminence, R = Red, G = Green, B= Blue. You only need to use separate filters for mono CCD imaging which you then recombine them into separate channels during post-processing.

If you're not going down the mono CCD route, you don't need need these filters ie you take a multitude of RGB frames using a DSLR or a "one shot colour" CCD camera, probably using a light pollution filter, and then stack those. (Hope that helps?)

Really nice shot! :)

One question though... Is there any rule of thumb on how many images with each filter you need to take/use?

The number of RGB subs for correct colour balance can be worked out by taking exposures of a G2V type star. You take exposures of the same length with each filter, making sure they're not saturated, and compare the signal strength for each of R, G & B. This gives you the ratio for your CCD & filters.

I found this site useful: Bernhard Hubl - Tips

Mark

Archived