Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Seben telescopes

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed - they're best known for their short-tube Newtonians with built-in Barlow. These are sold on ebay all the time and aren't the great deal that they're presented as being.

If you're after a Mak-Cass scope, Sky-Watcher offer a good range of them at good quality and reasonable prices. Not the best choice as a daylight spotting scope, but great for highly-portable astronomy use with good performance.

I have both a 105mm one and a 180mm one.

Yes, stay well away from Seben scopes. Think of them as the Trabant of the telescope world.

John

Trabant

East German car with body made from recycled material (cotton waste from Soviet Union and phenol resins from the East German dye industry) with air cooled two cylinder 500 cc engine. :D

Indeed - they're best known for their short-tube Newtonians with built-in Barlow. These are sold on ebay all the time and aren't the great deal that they're presented as being.

If you're after a Mak-Cass scope, Sky-Watcher offer a good range of them at good quality and reasonable prices. Not the best choice as a daylight spotting scope, but great for highly-portable astronomy use with good performance.

I have both a 105mm one and a 180mm one.

which of the skywatcher models are ok

Of the Maksutov-Cassegrain ones?

Well - I've no idea what the 90mm is like, but the 180mm is an amazing telescope. Both the 150mm and 127mm ones are also well-respected Maks, and I've just spent a thoroughly enjoyable evening looking at the moon through the 102mm one.

Hope that helps.

If you take the objective lens out of a Seben refractor and drill a half inch hole throught the focuser tube for a "T" bar - they're great for boring a hole in the ground to cement in a circular washing line pole lol :D

Some erroneous information here!

Seben actually make very decent Refractors, EPs and filters - espc the light pollution one.

Their reflectors are universally awful and there doesn't seem to be much info about the Maks.

So, don't write Seben off completely, you might miss a bargin.

A Seben 90mm mak was offered free to a beginner by an SGL member a year or so back I recall. I think he said that it was not as good as the Celestron or Skywatcher equivilents but decent enough on the moon and bright planets (Jupiter and Saturn). It was a nice gesture and went to a 10 year old lad I think.

I've not used one personally though.

Archived