Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Seben telescopes

I was looking at the meade scopes is the meade ETX90 better than the ETX80

Both very overpriced scopes......I wouldn't bother.

You've not said what you are expecting from a scope, or roughly how much you want to pay.

If you give us some more information, you will find a lot of helpful advice here, and probably end up with something that suits your needs.

It's a minefield out there when you don't have experience and you may well waste your money unless you take heed of the good advice you will get here.

Cheers

Rob

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the little mak 90 is a great little telescope, puches well above its weight, the 102 on this mount can be regarded as a steal

Maksutov - Skywatcher Skymax 102 SynScan AZ GOTO

seriously, you dont want your first telescope to be a pile of dog ****, all that will achieve would be to put you off this fine interest/hobby and make you feel that you have wasted a wad of cash you could have spent elsewhere.

so here is my two peneth.... the 102 (see link)

The AZ goto works very well - I have the same handset on a 12" dob and can't fault it - but I'm not familiar with the Meade goto so it's difficult to cpmpare. At that budget the 102 Mak is a much better proposition and you'll get a lot more out of it :)

the 102 Mak is a much better proposition and you'll get a lot more out of it

When I slid mine off my AZ4 last night, I looked at it resting in my hand and thought: "I can't believe I get lunar views this good out of such a small, lightweight scope!"

Well like a fool I decided to go for the meade ETX 90PE as it looked a bit more stable with the two arms opposed to the one arm on the skywatcher.After trying the last two nights to use the Goto function unsuccessfully and reading about the problems other people have with the alignment and unreliable gear-train.Think I'll have too start saving for the skywatcher.

I have the ETX 125 once you have set it up a few times it becomes ok I tend to use the two star alighment now instead of the auto, it's good enough to track Planet's and also to use the go-to function.

I decided to go for the meade ETX 90PE.

It's a pricey scope, but worth pursuing until you've mastered it, and understood what's causing the operational difficulties - frustrating though that may be.

All scopes - both manual and auto - have their initial frustrations before you get used to them - it's like learning to drive a car; it looks so simple as an onlooker, but the devil's in the detail, as always... :)

Good luck - it'll be worth it in the end.

Archived