SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Virgo Cluster - WOW!

Luke

I was having some problems last night with imaging, so I gave up and had a peek though the dob instead!

M51 was looking good, I could just make out the spiral arms, the first time ever from home!! I took a peek at the Beehive, M13, M81 & 82, the usual suspects for me! Ah it was not working out such a bad night after all, despite a second clear night and zilcho imaging going on!

Then I thought I would take a peek at what I was intending to image: the Virgo cluster of galaxies. I wasn't sure I would see much.

My jaw is still on the floor this morning! Galaxy, after galaxy, after galaxy, it was mindblowing!

I just kept slowing panning, there's one, there's another, there are three more.

What a night it turned out after all, from one of the worst to one of the best! :D

Cue the rain. You should hide your excitement from the gods of the weather!

Had a similar experience to Luke a couple of nights ago. It is jaw-dropping and a lot of fun. I need to seriously consider how to set up for imaging.

The Virgo cluster is special isnt it?

Try the Coma cluster next, somewhat fainter galaxies but a lot of them. I did this on SGL6 and was gobsmacked at just how many are in one FOV

Philj

• 2 weeks later...

hi all,

will i be able to see the virgo cluster with my sw 150pl? I know where to look but i haven't tried yet, thinking that i wouldn't see anything. Is there hope?

cheers,

Adamski

SW150PL

25mm ep

10mm ep

2x barlow

spc900nc

Lots of enthusiasm.

Thanks for that, hadn't realised it wasn't rising until about half ten :)

must say the moon looking stunning with the mk 1 eyeball a couple of nights back low in the sky, tormentor of faint galaxies though it is!

It will rise quite late, so get an early start. Things will improve during the week.

Does anyone know where I can download 2D a map of this cluster showing the messier objects??

There is a section in the sky at night this month but not in great detail..

*Edit*

One is here >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.astrosurf.com/jwisn/virgo-cluster.htm <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

hi all,

will i be able to see the virgo cluster with my sw 150pl? I know where to look but i haven't tried yet, thinking that i wouldn't see anything. Is there hope?

cheers,

Adamski

SW150PL

25mm ep

10mm ep

2x barlow

spc900nc

Lots of enthusiasm.

You should be OK if light pollution is not too high. I got many Messier objects and others in the region with my old 6" F/8.

Does anyone know where I can download 2D a map of this cluster showing the messier objects??

There is a section in the sky at night this month but not in great detail..

*Edit*

One is here >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> virgo-cluster.htm <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I used this one, there are a lot other useful ones on that website too http://www.atmob.org/library/member/skymaps/MAP7A.PDF

Disappointment :)

Too much light pollution in my back yard so I didnt manage to see any galaxies in Virgo. Tried every eye piece and alignment was bang on but could only see stars in that patch.

Even Saturn eluded me tracking inches out of shot over next doors roof.

One of those days..

Did manage to get a good look at M81 and M82 in the same FOV for the first time and M64 so not a wasted night.

Archived