Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

4,5" f/4.4 Babydob

Roel

Today I finished my last little project: a 114mm f=500mm truss Dobson made from plywood and parts of a standard Skywatcher OTA. It may sound ridiculous to make a truss version of an already small telescope, but this one will be my extra(!) travel scope for my next trip to La Palma. I already finished an airplane transportable 300mm f/4 truss Dob (Ontwerp en bouw 300mm f/4 Kofferdobson (update 22 september 2010: KLAAR!) Roelblog), but wouldn't it be nice to have a scope for the widefield/low-power observations...?

The outside dimensions of the case are approx. 8" x 8" x 5" and it weighs approx. 2 pounds. Not the smallest size (or weight) possible, but the scope is now very solid and there's no need to remove the focuser or the secondary mirror for transport. The whole scope can be set up and collimated within a few minutes. Its balance point is optimized for my 3 Vixen LVW's without the use of a counterweight or spring.

(I have decided not to paint the trusses, as they can not be seen through the eyepiece holder)

summierianhoog.jpg

More pics: Nieuw bouwprojectje: 114mm f/4,4 mini Dobson Roelblog

Beautiful scope. I assume that it needs a tripod or table to use as otherwise you're going to need to lie down to reach the eyepiece?

I am modifying my 8.5" newt with some legs as I have to kneel down for the lower decs.

Great project,

Mark

Great work. I'm thinking of building a 6inch dob and this has given me hope. What is the balance like, as I may mount mine on my heq5 if it is possible,

Best,

George

• 1 year later...

It'd make such an awesome gift, especially for kids looking to get their first scopes etc.

Definitely gonna have a go at this. Mirrors are cheap enough on astroboot, and the wood/trusses should be easy enough to find. The only thing i'm struggling to find is a focuser, there is one for a 5.5" tube on AB&S, but that'l likely be gone by the time i get round to doing this. :)

Archived