NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

helios

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

watch this space for an update on the helios 150, about to order a dual speed crayford focuser, already fitted an orion 9x50 r/a finder scope and the body tube/dew shield is going into the paint shop for a professional recoat in ruby red

well i have the dual speed focuser on order, that should be here monday and i have come up with a very cunning plan to give the ota a face lift, all items ordered and pictures next weekend, if it goes to plan it will be a bit special!

The eq5 copes well with it, but good job its not the 150mm evostar as that would be a bit to much

I don't think my Evo 120 is all that solid on my EQ5 so I would imagine an Evo 150 would resemble a branch waiting to snap. I have never seen an Evo 150 but I hear they are larger than life. I would really like one but simply don't have the cash to splash on a mount worthy of the Evo 150 :)

Nightfisher, that's a great looking scope:), make sure you let us have a first light report?

Which crayford are you buying for it? Does it come with all necessary attachments to fit it straight onto the scope? What about the finder, is that fixed to the tube, or will it fit on the new Crayford assembly?

I'm interested as I might consider upgrading my Evostar 150 when funds permit..my finder is a Tal 50mm, absolutely superb finder..it fits onto the stock focuser assembly, so I'd either have to drill the tube for a new shoe, or buy a Crayford which has one...I don't think the Moonlite one does? Be good to see the pictures.

Ref your new paint job, I'd like to get mine painted white..I just like traditional white on scopes and obviously the Tal finder is white already:p...do you know someone in a paint shop or do you think a garage which does spraying work would take on the job as a one off for cash etc?

Regarding the load of the Evostar on the EQ5...I have the CG-5 version and it handles my Evostar fine - for visual. I think the weak link is the tripod. The EQ5 has 1.5" diameter steel legs, the CG-5 has 2"...but mine have been replaced with a solid fixed height timber tripod and it is MUCH more stable than the original legs.

I completely accept that an EQ6 would be ideal especially if you do AP, but at a much greater weight (and cost:eek:). So for now I'm happy with the CG-5.

One thing's for sure, these big refractors give an awesome bang for your buck:D

Look forward to seeing your new pics after the mods are applied:icon_salut:

Just adding one of mine, to show the tripod, I know you've seen it before:rolleyes:

Dave

post-16698-133877607369_thumb.jpg

I have opted for the skywatcher dual speed crayford as its a direct fit for these scopes.

the finder has to be mounted on a shoe drilled and bolted to the OTA (done)

i have access to a large paint spray shop and i was going for a white spray on the ota and dew shield, which would work very well, and i would think most place`s like this would do it for a cash price, and not difficult to do at home diy

i had a last minute change of mind over the paint finish, wait for the pics!

Nightfisher, that's a great looking scope:), make sure you let us have a first light report?

Which crayford are you buying for it? Does it come with all necessary attachments to fit it straight onto the scope? What about the finder, is that fixed to the tube, or will it fit on the new Crayford assembly?

I'm interested as I might consider upgrading my Evostar 150 when funds permit..my finder is a Tal 50mm, absolutely superb finder..it fits onto the stock focuser assembly, so I'd either have to drill the tube for a new shoe, or buy a Crayford which has one...I don't think the Moonlite one does? Be good to see the pictures.

This might be of some help Dave How to Attach a Finder to your Crayford Focuser

SPACEBOY

Regarding the load of the Evostar on the EQ5...I have the CG-5 version and it handles my Evostar fine - for visual. I think the weak link is the tripod. The EQ5 has 1.5" diameter steel legs, the CG-5 has 2"...but mine have been replaced with a solid fixed height timber tripod and it is MUCH more stable than the original legs.

I completely accept that an EQ6 would be ideal especially if you do AP, but at a much greater weight (and cost:eek:). So for now I'm happy with the CG-5.

One thing's for sure, these big refractors give an awesome bang for your buck:D

Look forward to seeing your new pics after the mods are applied:icon_salut:

Just adding one of mine, to show the tripod, I know you've seen it before:rolleyes:

Dave

Whats the CA like on the Evo 150 ? I hear the larger the objective the more pronounced the halo. I understand that the 150 is more suited to deep sky but I guess it is still superb on the moon. I did find a chromacor for sale but the seller wanted an unrealistic £350 for it and given I could probably get a nice S/H apo for that much I decided not to bother. But a 150 & Chromacor dose sound tempting. I still think the 150/EQ5 is pushing the boundaries but if you say it works it might be worth a try I guess :)

I have a plan to get a 150mm evostar in the future but only if i can mount it on a pier in an obs hoping in about 18months i might be in a position to build an obs but that involves selling house and relocating

I won't lie I am very much a reflector man but since getting a refractor I have to admit I do see the appeal. I like the wide views I get from my Evo120 that not even with Naglers can I get from my Newts. I have found with a WELL cooled refractor the CA is not of any real bother so it's not like you need to break the bank with an apochromatic. You and Dave have some nice refractors in your collection and I can't wait to see the revamped ST150 :)

Hi guys,

Thanks for the links, the SW crayford seems good value at £129?

I think the crayford is a worthwhile upgrade..with shorter f l fracs (under F11), it can be fiddly to get tight focus at higher powers. On longer focus fracs the depth of focus means you have a bigger "sweet spot" for snap focus. So the superfine micro focus on the crayford will be good for both Nightfishers and my scopes.

I would tend to prefer, like Nightfisher, to mount the finder on the OTA tube, and I always feel nervous if anything is only held if place by one screw, as per the Agena astro solution..

Ref the question of CA..yes, it is there, no getting away from it. But at low to medium powers it doesn't bother me as the light gathering of the scope more than makes up for it.

I too think a Chromacorr is a great upgrade if you can find one at a good price, but again I've read that the stock focuser and it's inherent image shift can prevent even that piece of kit from giving of it's best.

Can't wait to see your new colour scheme, Nightfisher, sounds funky!

clear skies

Dave

Hi guys,

Thanks for the links, the SW crayford seems good value at £129?

I think the crayford is a worthwhile upgrade..with shorter f l fracs (under F11), it can be fiddly to get tight focus at higher powers. On longer focus fracs the depth of focus means you have a bigger "sweet spot" for snap focus. So the superfine micro focus on the crayford will be good for both Nightfishers and my scopes.

I would tend to prefer, like Nightfisher, to mount the finder on the OTA tube, and I always feel nervous if anything is only held if place by one screw, as per the Agena astro solution..

Ref the question of CA..yes, it is there, no getting away from it. But at low to medium powers it doesn't bother me as the light gathering of the scope more than makes up for it.

I too think a Chromacorr is a great upgrade if you can find one at a good price, but again I've read that the stock focuser and it's inherent image shift can prevent even that piece of kit from giving of it's best.

Can't wait to see your new colour scheme, Nightfisher, sounds funky!

clear skies

Dave

when i fitted the finder shoe it was with trepidation that i drilled into the ota tube, about 20mm in front of focus housing, i positioned the shoe, marked one hole, drilled and bolted then made sure the shoe was aligned and marked and drilled second hole! i was surprised at how thick the ota tube metal is, very solid!

regards the CA, yes its very bad on the st150 for lunar so when i image a lunar shot i will just go monochrome, hey presto no false colour.

The new look ota is gonna be very modern, in line with the scopes updating, and to be honest i dont know any one else to have tried what im doing hope it all goes well

Update, still work in progress but really getting there now, and looking good, the new focuser is silky smooth and fitted like a glove, also this upgrade has added weight to the rear of the scope, helping with the balance:cool:

post-21509-133877607937_thumb.jpg

post-21509-133877607945_thumb.jpg

Archived