SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello!

astrotyke

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum.

It can seem a bit daunting going through all the criteria of each scope often comparing what can seem like apples with pears. The key thing is not to rush and take your time. If you have never looked through a scope before, you might want to consider finding a couple of outreach events where local astro clubs set up an observation evening with different scopes. The reason for suggestion this is because it will help you make sense of the all the difference types and sizes of scopes together will help you establish your own benchmark from which to make future comparisons when examining retailers adverts etc.

Again take your time and post any questions that will help you make the right decision.

Clear skies

James

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum.

It can seem a bit daunting going through all the criteria of each scope often comparing what can seem like apples with pears. The key thing is not to rush and take your time. If you have never looked through a scope before, you might want to consider finding a couple of outreach events where local astro clubs set up an observation evening with different scopes. The reason for suggestion this is because it will help you make sense of the all the difference types and sizes of scopes together will help you establish your own benchmark from which to make future comparisons when examining retailers adverts etc.

Again take your time and post any questions that will help you make the right decision.

Clear skies

James

Cheers James,

I already have a 114mm refelctor, but its nothing special, just a basic tasco scope that I had for years, but now im looking at getting something a bit better, but it has to be portable and my storage is a bit limited, so I was looking at maybe some thing like a skywatcher 127 Mak. The cheap EQ mount on my refelector has had beter days so im not sure if it will mount onto somethig like an EQ3 or one of the Goto mounts, then I could still use both scopes

thanks for your welcomes again, ive been looking at peoples recomendations for scopes and theres lots to choose from, way more than i remeber way back when i bought my 114mm reflector years ago.

I was thinking of something like a 127mm Mak for moon and planetry work and slo becasue i think the scope will get used plenty as i can take it on holiday with the family. Not too bothered in photography at this stage as i dont have the budget to give it a proper go, might be possiable though with a web cam at some stage.

As for DSO, I had an idea to get a large dob in the future, maybe when ive moved house and have more storage space.

seemed like a plan to me anyway :D

Any advice around for which mak is good, I think there is a celestron one that is almost the same as the skywatcher, i think i read on here somewhere that the celestron had a better mount, which is always a good thing. Only other thing is do i get it on an EQ mount or a goto alt az mount.

desicions desicions

Hi Chris, Welcome to SGL :D That sounds like half a plan, that does :rolleyes:

Personally I'd go with the Skywatcher Skymax 127 on the EQ3-2 mount - no electronics to faf about with. Less to go wrong too and not dependent on a power supply.

Mind you, if you live in an area with a lot of light pollution then the Celestron's GoTo will help you locate the fainter stuff through the sky-glow.

Just my two penn'orth, HTH.

yea, good point, i suppose the novelty of having a goto scope might wear off after a bit?

Plus, i would be able to get maybe a reflector ota and mount hat up too.

Is the EQ3-2 mount good, my old reflector has a rubbish EQ mount that just wobbles lol, thats why i want something better

yea Nick, i think thats the way to go. I got my old scope out a couple of nights ago, got some decant views of the moon and saturn too, but i had to clear out some cobwebs out of it first:eek: as it had been in the shed for a couple of years without much use, the stand was like jelly lol

not sure if the primary mirror looked very clean, it has been covered up but i think it might just be dust on it

Archived