Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging with a PST

I have the use of my Astro Soc's PST at the moment and wondered if it could be used for imaging, with a Canon 500D.

I know that I can't achieve focus directly, but can it be done by adding in a Barlow to give more "inward" focus or some sort of 1.25" extension tube to give more "outward" focus?

Advice needed everyone, as observing is fun, but being able to image sunspots/prominences would be better.

Thanks

Tom

Hey Tom,

I am sorry I cannot help but I am looking forward to see if someone else can. I am interested in getting a PST and would like to know the answer to. Are you planning to write a review about it?

Regards,

Use a webcam/dmk and a short nosepiece. You want black and White as the image is monochrome anyway. Get lots of frames and stack to get the best result. See my recent PST for sale ad, I posted an image taken with a PST and a DMK camera

Cheers

PEterW

Tom, I've got those bits'n'pieces so wil have a go and see if it works. Not hooked up my Canon to a PST yet so will see.

On a separate matter, how do you find the 14" flextube? Keen to find your thoughts as I also have a LX90 for comparison. PM me if you prefer not to dilute your thread....

Cheers

I think it could and probably is possible, as you say using a barlow or extender, maybe even EP projection?

But would the results be of any use? probably not going to be great as for one thing the size of the chip on the dslr will no doubt introduce some vignetting? also as Peter mentions a OSC isn't the best giver of results compared to a mono web/video camera on this case.

Not sure if that is all true or if it helps any?

EDIT: a short google found this http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3353350/Main/3344497

Michael

Yes, it is possible to image using a DSLR on a PST. You need a short nosepiece adaptor which is fitted with a barlow lens (temporarily removed from a x2 barlow body) There's a webpage somewhere which shows the detail.....

Archived