Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing Chair build

sbooder

Hi all,

I decided to build an observing chair of the A-frame type. Started today and this is progress so far. I have mortise & tenoned the front to the foot glued and screwed.

Next I am going to make a central catcher plate on the back of the front (if you get my drift).

front_foot1.jpg

OK, the seat is on but not shaped or sanded, just trying out. You will be wondering why is the seat so chunky...Well I think photo two will answer that for you, as you can see I am not the lightest of blokes!

seat1.jpg

sitting1.jpg

I have the foot support to build yet and a much better bottom stretcher, I think I am going to have a stretcher coming from the top of the foot from each end and connect to the back support, a three point linkage so to speak!

One question: Why the "catcher rail? Would friction alone not be sufficient, and also have the advantage of being infinitely adjustable? (Nice build, BTW!)

Friction is all well and good until you want to get off the thing and then it can loose the grip, I have heard of people falling to the ground when trying to dismount.

Pretty cool. Only thing I see missing besides the feet support is a Beer holder lol

That is a very good point !!

Simon - will you take orders for it, with a special beer / wine modification ?

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here is the latest. I have made a footplate attached to the seat. This is just a prototype and I will be constructing a better version in a couple of weeks, using threaded bars and a better plate so it will be adjustable. It works really well and allows me to use the footplate as a step-up to the seat.

footplate1.jpg

Archived