Adding GOTO to a mount?

Yes that can be a good way of doing it.

It's the mount that needs to be upgraded not the scope. There are several skywatcher mounts that can be bought without drives or GOTO and then you buy a kit to upgrade.

I bought a non GOTO mount and then added it later. It's not actually that difficult - I wrote a guide to doing it for the HEQ5, I would think that it'll be similar for the EQ5 and EQ3.

http://stargazerslounge.com/primers-tutorials/62172-primer-heq5-synscan-upgrade.html

There may be others that can have a similar upgrade.

Cheers

Ant

Yes that can be a good way of doing it.

It's the mount that needs to be upgraded not the scope. There are several skywatcher mounts that can be bought without drives or GOTO and then you buy a kit to upgrade.

I bought a non GOTO mount and then added it later. It's not actually that difficult - I wrote a guide to doing it for the HEQ5, I would think that it'll be similar for the EQ5 and EQ3.

http://stargazerslounge.com/primers-tutorials/62172-primer-heq5-synscan-upgrade.html

There may be others that can have a similar upgrade.

Cheers

Ant

The Celestron CG5 can also be upgraded to GOTO.

I have this mount and found it very good. Sturdy 2" Tripod legs but with the same 'mount head' as the EQ5.

I then added RA/DEC motors which made it possible to do some modest astro-photography as well.

However I have now upgraded to an HEQ5 Pro Syntrek, to take my images to the next level...(ahem...still waiting for that! :D )

I would say GOTO is handy, but not essential for either visual or astro-photography.

HTH

Michael

I love my (simpler, Alt-Az) GoTo, but adding a system later sounds like good tactics, if you decide you want to, especially if you intend to start off to be mostly visual. GoTo is nice, but by no means essential, and can be fiddly to set up, at least until you get used to it.

If, though, you are absolutely determined to take up imaging in a big way from the off (:D), then you would be probably better advised to spend as much as you can on the mount, and if you have to economise, do it for now on the scope. GoTo on the mount not actually essential (provided they have at least the basic motors), but desirable, and HEQ5/EQ6 are the weapons of choice. You'll see from this forum that you CAN do imaging, and do it well, on an EQ5, and even an EQ3-2, but it is harder.

thanks for all the advice, Think I will buy mount then save a bit more then buy scope then buy a better eye piece. When it come to eye pieces I have read that you need more then one do do different jobs ie close work or distance Question is what would be the optimal number (keeping cost down ) and which ones. I have read that a F5 to F10 seems to be the number talked about.

Would GOTO not spoil the enjoyment of learning your way around the sky? Saying that I plan on upgrading eventually B)

I thought like that then realised that UK conditions seriously restrict the number of observing nights so learning your way around is a long process especially when you want to look at objects that can't be seen with the naked eye. I sold my first scope and went to GoTo and have found that the learning process is flowing along nicely now :) Just my thoughts and I am sure there are many other views.

Dave

Archived