Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

tripod for my bins

roKAZ

Ive just bought some 15x70 binos and im quite set on getting the horizon 8115 tripod for them . Ihave to say im very satisfied with them as i have observed the orion nebula , saturn , jupiter the moon and endless bright and colourful stars and clusters aimlessly from all over the sky

I now feel the need to get them more stable so i can set more dso targets in my sights . I do think im heading down the bino route of astronomy so i have 2 questions i would like to ask and would be grateful for any replies

Q.1 Would the horizon tripod be able to cope with 25x100 binoculars if i decided to upgrade at a later date?

Q.2 How noticable would the difference be between 15x70's and 25x100's ?

Hi

Q.1 Would the horizon tripod be able to cope with 25x100 binoculars if i decided to upgrade at a later date?

Q.2 How noticable would the difference be between 15x70's and 25x100's ?

A.1 Yes my friend uses Quntum 3 on the horizon 8115 they are 4.7 kgs

A.2 FOV would be narrower field of view on the 25x100 but of DSO there great

I seen some great views through them like the Crab Nubula NGC1952

let us know what you decide

Doug

Essex

I thoroughly recommend the Horizon 8115.

I also have a Camlink TPPRO32B (excellent quality for price) which is a superb tripod and goes to a greater height than the Horizon, but the Horizon is plenty high enough for me (6'1''). The benefit of the Horizon is the geared centre column. This makes it much easier to adjust to a new target than the Camlink, which has a friction lock so you have to undo, move column then tighten.

I use the Horizon for the bins and the Camlink for the DSLR.

I have the Camlink TPPRO32B rather than the Horizon mainly due to to my 6'4" of height and find it a superb peice of kit that has really improved my viewing experience. I don't find the friction locked centre post a problem. I think you could go for either with complete confidence.

I have the Camlink TPPRO32B rather than the Horizon mainly due to to my 6'4" of height and find it a superb peice of kit that has really improved my viewing experience. I don't find the friction locked centre post a problem. I think you could go for either with complete confidence.

Totally agree.

The Camlink is quality. The Horizon is just 'easier' to use with the geared column but there's not much in it. I'm happy using either.

Try to use it sitting down, the less it is extended the less wobbly it will be. You might also need a post extension for the 25x100 to allow them to be mounted to a tripod plate and still allow the objectives to come close together. If you are careful with the balance.... readjusting where necessary then the 8115 will do the job.

Cheers

PEter

Archived