NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nexstar 8SE on the way!

Very excited as I have a Celestron Nexstar 8SE winging its way to me - should be here tomorrow morning. Yeeha!

Just hoping for some clear skies. Apologies in advance to all stargazers in the Herts/Bucks area as I've probably doomed us with cloudy nights for the rest of the week.:hello2:

Have gone into overdrive thinking of all the accessories I'll add to it in due course. I already have a dew shield (essential) and a Maplins 5 in 1 17Ah Jumpstarter that has a 12V DC cigarette lighter. I presume the 12V connector will work with the mount just fine, but forgot to ask when ordering. Does anyone know for certain?

Anyway, once I've had a chance to set it up (having of course ignored the manual) and had a bit of a play, I'll be more than happy to do a "first impressions" report.

Watch this space.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just realised I posted this in the "Help" section and probably should have put it in the "Reviews" instead - notwithstanding that I've yet to actually review it. I blame my excited state of mind. :hello2:

If the moderators want to move it, feel free.

I think it's OK here - you did ask a question in your post after all !.

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question but congratulations on the scope. I had my best ever views of Saturn with a Celestron 8" SCT :hello2:

i too am the proud owner of a 8" sct, bought last week but on the heq5 mount, the power tank will work fine with the mount you have, one thing is don`t use the plug in charger that comes with the tank, it only charges at 1/2 amp per hour and takes forever to fully charge, better to put in on a car charger, my charger does 4amps per hour and does alot better job.

as for extras i`d recommend a dew shield and dew controller a band, helps alot when the corrector starts to cloud over in the cold weather but you might be o.k. now for a while as the weathers getting warmer

one thing is don`t use the plug in charger that comes with the tank, it only charges at 1/2 amp per hour and takes forever to fully charge, better to put in on a car charger, my charger does 4amps per hour and does alot better job.

Thanks for the feedback and excuse the dumb question, but when you refer to the "plug in charger", so you mean the AC/DC one that I used to charge up the tank in the first place? In which case, this might explain why it took 36 hours to do the initial charge.

Will be desperately watching the front door tomorrow ready to accost all & any couriers carrying large boxes my way!

Apologies in advance to all stargazers in the Herts/Bucks area as I've probably doomed us with cloudy nights for the rest of the week.:hello2:.

So you're the one to blame :hello2:

Congrats on your purchase...

Hey great to see the "orange" SCT club has another member :hello2:

There's a current post running on Power Tanks at the moment.

Have a look at my link there

I purchased a power tank but not the "jump start" variety.

Will probably do a review on usage when I get a chance.

Cheers and congrats on the purchase !

Neil

Sorry if I'm butting in, but just wanted to say that I'll be very interested to read your review as I'm looking at getting a new telescope and am currently leaning towards the 8SE, so I'd look forward to comments regarding good and bad points.

I was also considering the CPC but my understanding is that the SE will be more portable and gives me the option to mount it on an EQ mount at some stage if I feel the need?

Thanks for all the welcoming messages and helpful pointers.

Large box arrived this morning, looking a little worse for wear :hello2: I am trying to be positive & I am sure everything inside will be fine - keeping fingers crossed. Will hopefully find time this evening to open up and assemble and will report back in next few days.

Smudgeball - I'll be looking at your link as well and will try to include a report back as well on how the Maplin Jumpstarter performs. I have the 5-in-1 17 Ah version and have already been informed the 12V DC cigarette lead that came with it should be fine for use with this 'scope. Being a bit of a dimwit when it comes to electrics, I was always a bit nonplussed about the reference to "centre tip positive" or whatever the references were - the cigarette lead has a (standard?) depressable bit in the middle of the fat end that plugs into the power supply and a narrow, tubular-like connection (bit like a nokia phone charger connection) at the other end for plugging into the business end of the mount.

Anyway, don't imagine I'll get much useful work done today. Will just have to ask colleagues to slap me if I look like I'm lapsing into a daydream :hello2:

Looking at the skies, I think I may have some time to tinker about.

Lastly, just wondered if there is a Nexstar forum on SL. Had a brief look the other day, but couldn't see one.

Work.....must get on with work......

I got my scope power lead from FLO at same time as I purchased scope.

You'll enjoy the "empty" boxes when you unpack......I'll leave you to ponder that one :hello2:

And Olly is right...those eyepiece urges won't go away so be prepared for them !

Neil

This is the very telescope I'm considering buying so I'm extremely interested in what you have to say about it. I will certainly watch this thread... :D

Hi Staffan,

It might be a week or so, but I will definitely post a review once I've had a chance to get to grips with the kit. Very glad to help out anyone going through the "what to buy" process - especially if it helps them having to ponder quite as long as I did.

Hi Staffan,

It might be a week or so, but I will definitely post a review once I've had a chance to get to grips with the kit. Very glad to help out anyone going through the "what to buy" process - especially if it helps them having to ponder quite as long as I did.

Hi Tony,

Despite what I said in my earlier post I still find myself wavering between the 8SE and the CPC800. Everytime I read a review of one or the other it seems to bring up something that changes my mind.

I'm a little concerned about the rigidity of the 8SE single arm system having read a review that mentioned vibrations, although it's the only one of several that has really been negative on that aspect, so I'd be interested to hear your impressions in that regard.

On the other hand, the CPC with twin arms and base seems so much bigger in comparison, which obviously affects its portability - space required to carry it in a car etc.

Still undecided right now, but from what you say about your ponderings I guess you must have gone through something similar :D

Spot on. I've lost count of the times the CPC800 come up, only to then consider a Dob, then think actually a small 5" Mak might be a better option for now and then return to the 8SE....got to the point where I thought the universe will actually end before I make up my mind!

Anyway, not surprisingly cost played as big a factor as anything else and the CPC800 was more than just a little step up from the 8SE. Infact, I'd pretty much decided on the 6SE because of similar reservations about the mount stability & vibrations, but a combination of speaking with suppliers and the lack of 6SE stock, plus what I think was a good price for the 8SE convinced me to bite the bullet. I'm more than happy to bore people with this background to my purchase in my eventual write-up, though I'll try to focus on the performance. Watch this space.

I own the 8SE and have had some really good views through it, however if I were to buy it again I would definitely buy the OTA and an EQ6 SynTrek for stability - the single arm mount just isn't up to the job especially on those cold nights when your hand isn't all that steady - even breathing near the thing will cause vibrations! Makes focusing extremely difficult at times.

I have also had a problem with dew, but that could be because I didn't have the heater tapes on full power when it was -10 outside. :D

The red-dot finder is pretty decent and has a combined brightness / on/off control knob, with easy adjustments for initial alignment to the telescope (only needs to be done once), no complaints there.

I looked at the CPC too before buying the 8SE - it may be a much more rigid set up (for sure it is, seen one up close), but it is big and hefty, and for that amount of weight may as well go for the OTA on a much more versatile EQ mount option. The CPC is pretty much a fixed item, it doesn't come apart except into two halves like the 8SE mount does, the telescope tube can not easily be fitted to anything else as far as I'm aware.

I bought the 8SE on the strength of the tube, not the mount, and I plan to get rid of the mount all together and replace it with an EQ6 SynTrek. I no longer care for Goto, it just seems like too much effort to set up so that it works perfectly, and I find the scrolling text in the orange display of the Celestron 8SE Goto mount difficult to read. That's not to say the mount is awful, it would probably be great for a smaller telescope (such as an 80 Refractor or a 6" SCT).

Having done a bit more searching on the subject of the 8SE and vibration, the consensus seems to be that most of the vibration comes from the tripod, and that the single arm mount in itself is actually quite rigid. Several people seem to have minimised vibration with just the anti-vibration pads that Celestron sell as an accessory, or hanging a weight from the tripod supplied, and one said that he totally removed any vibration by mounting the OTA and arm assembly on a CPC tripod.

Anyway, looking forward to the review!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also seriously considering buying the 8SE. Though, the mount stability I keep hearing about is a bit worrying. The good thing though is that's a lot lighter to carry than the sturdier mounts. Hope to see your review soon, as it seems I've been changing my mind about what to buy as often as you had.

A Barlebch wooden tripod is an ideal solution as it's not too heavy but can carrry a lot of weight. They do an SE adaptor plate. Downside is they're not cheap. :icon_eek:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/index.php/cat/c80_Mont-Zub----Stative---Saeulen---Polwiegen.html

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p760_Adapter-auf-NexStar-Teleskope---fuer-Hartholz-Stativ.html

John

I have had my 8SE since January and I really can't fault it. I was out last night wiht it and had the ultimate galaxy-fest looking at Leo/Coma and some great views of Saturn. When I first got it I was worried by all that I had seen written about vibration. I have had no problem really. On focusing there is a bit of a woblle but it dampens down almost immediately. Focusing is pretty easy in fact as I find that even when moving between EPs very little adjustment is required. It was windy last night and I noticed some shake. When I took the 14 inch homemade lens shade that 'd stuck on the front off the OTA, the wind shake disappeared. I don't see any need for the anti-vibe pads. I stand mine on grass when dry or paving slabs in the wet and have no isses. The only accessory that you really have to get is a dew band. Without that you will never get more than an hour of observing done.

It has taken me a while to fully master the goto set up, even with the GPS unit I have. Last night however it was awesome and I was scudding around the sky from Messier to Messier without a care. I think the difference was that for the first time ever I had set up and levelled the rig while it was still daylight. Take the time to do this and you will really love your new scope.

Just a thought to add about vibration.

When looking at DSOs I like to deliberately vibrate the OTA in order to help me distinguish the dim object from the background. I am really struggling to do this with my Nexstar- have found best thing is to give the star diagonal a solid tug in order to accomplish my aim. I can only conclude that the mount is more solid than the others I have previously owned.

I ended up returning my Nexstar 8SE since the vibrations I suffered were just too prolonged. I was well aware when I ordered it that there were comments about the stability of the mount, but I have to say that there was never any discernable wobbles coming from the fork attachment; it gripped the OTA extremely tightly with no sense of any slippage from the motors. However, the distortions that I experienced from focusing, even with a feather-like touch, seemed to take an age to settle down and made the viewing process less than enjoyable especially for fast-moving objects. I had several attempts to improve matters, including changing the mount location, placing it on absorbant leg rests and applying a small amount of ballast. Collectively, these did improve the situation, but not enough to make me feel comfortable with the result. I'm sure the fact that my garden acts as quite a wind trap (weather, not mine :D) did not help matters.

Anyway, was sad to see it go back, but have decided to save pennies for a bit longer and hold out for a CPC800 - or if I can create a lot more storage space, a Skyliner Flextube 300P Dob! Some colsoltation that the night sky has been less than perfect since its return.

The CPC would give you no vibration problems whatsoever. Apparently the vibration pads (optional extra) reduce vibration from anyone walking round the scope very effectively. But the mount/tripod is solid, and with two fork arms you can't go wrong.

The 300P Flextube is also rock solid except on a windy day. The shroud acts like a sail. But on a calm clear night the views are amazing and still :D

Archived