Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observatory ?

Horus

I like how he's done a vid too.

The problem with one of those in my garden would be the advertisement that I have some serious astronomical kit. No good for me.

If I lived in a place I was comfortable having a dome (I do live in a nice area...but still), I'd build my own and it would be pretty :( That one is a bit butt! :o

I like how he's done a vid too.

The problem with one of those in my garden would be the advertisement that I have some serious astronomical kit. No good for me.

If I lived in a place I was comfortable having a dome (I do live in a nice area...but still), I'd build my own and it would be pretty :( That one is a bit butt! :o

This worries me, too. I don't feel entirely comfortable leaving my kit in my dome (when it arrives) but to be honest, the time saved in setting up weighed against the chance of a break-in is a chance I'm willing to take. The way I see it, burglars tend to strike at night, when I'm going to be using it. Burglaries generally drop during wet weather and daylight, both times I am less likely to be using my obsy.

I'm sure in a few months time I'll be on here crying about a robbery...

• 2 weeks later...
burglars tend to strike at night,

The vast majority of pre-planned burglaries in suburban homes are actually done in the daytime, when the homeowner is most likely at work or otherwise out of the house. Certainly, there is a number of night-time burglaries mostly in unoccupied homes and units that are active in daytime, but the ones that we have to worry about are those that are around in daylight.

It's always worth having very detailed records and photos of your gear, and ideally having the high-value items with microdots or UV-markings to allow a tracing if they do go missing.

Archived