SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Wild life

martin_h

Whilst sat in the obs just now I heard a noise behind me! A mouse!!eeek!

Cheeky sod. I have a sack of fish food in the obs, Its' close to the pond, its eaten its way through and started on the food........

3 traps are now in there. Just got to remember not to blunder around in the dark now!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am far from a bambi'ist but why would you want to do him in, exactly the same thing happened to me the weekend (my bird food) and I was pleased for the company. It wasn't alarmed when I reached out to lift him down onto the floor.

I am far from a bambi'ist but why would you want to do him in, exactly the same thing happened to me the weekend (my bird food) and I was pleased for the company. It wasn't alarmed when I reached out to lift him down onto the floor.

Thats all very well, I have nothing against mice, but I won't be happy if they start to chew data cables etc....... I have trapped 6 so far - all adults, imagine if they nested in there!!! I'd be over run:mad:

7 now!

Air gun or Rimfire?

Rimfire .22. Air pistol is .177. Semi-auto CCL carry is .40mm S&W. Revolver is a 100 year-old .32 cal. S&W that my Dad bought used over 90 years ago. Shotgun is 12 ga. Ithaca double barrel dating to WWI. Don't keep a deer gun any more.

Mice are vermin. They multiply very rapidly when there is food present - including fish food. They carry and spread disease. They gnaw and damage things indiscriminately. I've had them chew the wiring out of a pickup truck.

Letting them live is compounding the problem or just giving it to your neighbor, IMO. Would you capture and release rattlesnakes down the street?

Of course, that's a Texas point of view - where we DO have rattlesnakes, moccasins, copperheads, coral snakes, scorpions, black widows and tarantulas - and your mileage may vary.

Rimfire .22. Air pistol is .177. Semi-auto CCL carry is .40mm S&W. Revolver is a 100 year-old .32 cal. S&W that my Dad bought used over 90 years ago. Shotgun is 12 ga. Ithaca double barrel dating to WWI. Don't keep a deer gun any more.

Mice are vermin. They multiply very rapidly when there is food present - including fish food. They carry and spread disease. They gnaw and damage things indiscriminately. I've had them chew the wiring out of a pickup truck.

Letting them live is compounding the problem or just giving it to your neighbor, IMO. Would you capture and release rattlesnakes down the street?

Of course, that's a Texas point of view - where we DO have rattlesnakes, moccasins, copperheads, coral snakes, scorpions, black widows and tarantulas - and your mileage may vary.

but they are really really cute :(

Yep I would.

Just because you dont lke em doesnt mean they dont have a right to exist.

PS I can think of at least one particular nieghbour who would be a wonderful recipient!

Yep I would.

Just because you dont lke em doesnt mean they dont have a right to exist.

PS I can think of at least one particular nieghbour who would be a wonderful recipient!

Glad I'm not a neighbor on the receiving end of your generosity.

As for rights, you are anthropmorphosizing. Animals don't have rights; humans have rights granted by law. Animals are protected under law from abusive treatment and cruely but they are not ceded legal rights - only protections and those only when they present no threat, hazard, or nuisance. The fact that someone holds the opinion that they are cute or that they deserve to be allowed to live is incontrovertible, but that does not rise to granting rights to animals nor does it make killing them wrong when they cause problems.

There are many in this area who keep pets but fail to neuter or sterilize them. They breed and the offspring are unwanted. The irresponsible breeders claim that "the offspring have a right to live" and take them out into the edge of town- or even out to the countryside - where they create attraction for prey animals that then move one to farm animals when the domestic over breeding supply is consumed. If they survive, their life is the cruelest form of punishment with starvation, maiming, and disease with no medical care the norm.

No! Tis far more humane to do the right thing. Doing anything else is wrong.

They multiply very rapidly when there is food present They carry and spread disease. They gnaw and damage things indiscriminately. I've had them chew the wiring out of a pickup truck.

Unfortunately you could be talking about the kids round here with the exception of the pickup maybe. We don't shoot them either.

And some people think the US has gun probs? Shooting mice? Too strange.

Would you capture and release rattlesnakes down the street?

Actually, to do so would break the law in the UK I believe. "Releasing vermin" is an offence. This leads to the peculiar situation that if you rescue a squirrel because it has hurt its paw, you then have to find an organisation to look after it for life, since you're not allowed to release it back where you rescued it - which seems a bit odd.

By the way, I notice that your viewpoint is echoed in the book Astronomy Hacks:

Arm yourself

- Yes, we know this is controversial, but we consider it good advice, particularly if you observe at remote locations in areas where rabies is endemic or there are poisonous snakes or large predators. Robert generally brings a .44 revolver or 12-gauge riot shotgun to observing sessions.

- Robert Bruce Thompson and Barbara Fritchman Thompson, Astronomy Hacks

Maybe the best solution (mice, possibly snakes, but probably not neighbour's brats) is to let nature take its natural course........acquire or rent a cat! Mine sits by me as I sit outside with my scope. She occasionally heads off into the bushes and takes out something small and squeaky. Beats shooting them as it spoilss your night vision I believe.

Chris

I have plenty of wildlife in my garden and love it, am best mates with a pair of doves and they give me endless pleasure. They live in an evergreen behind and above my obsy, as I sit on the chair I get covered by twigs, I do wonder at times how this pair will ever get a nest built as for every 100 twigs the male brings in 99 will fall to to ground. This has giving me endless amusement but at the same time I have felt sorry for them and each day I gather up the twigs and somehow push them back up. For the rest of the garden it's a wildlife haven and love it :o

Jim

Mice are vermin. They multiply very rapidly when there is food present - including fish food. They carry and spread disease. They gnaw and damage things indiscriminately.

Sounds like people to me;)

We caught a mouse when I was a student. All stood around looking at it. Fed it some cheese, and let it go outside. House full of vegetarians you see. :o

Steve

Archived