SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Wild life

martin_h

Have a cat, waste of space at hunting, over fed, over scared and over loved :o

Jim

Tell me about it - there is a fox and at least 3 cats that frequent the underside of my obs from time to time........dont seem to scare away the mice.

11 caught so far and there is still at least 1 in there cos I've just seen it !

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For every one you see there will be a load more you haven't....

Thanks for that :o

Just been round with the spray expanding foam and filled every gap I could find. I think they were getting in where the pipe carrying the data cables entered through the floor:mad:

Rimfire .22. Air pistol is .177. Semi-auto CCL carry is .40mm S&W. Revolver is a 100 year-old .32 cal. S&W that my Dad bought used over 90 years ago. Shotgun is 12 ga. Ithaca double barrel dating to WWI. Don't keep a deer gun any more.

Mice are vermin. They multiply very rapidly when there is food present - including fish food. They carry and spread disease. They gnaw and damage things indiscriminately. I've had them chew the wiring out of a pickup truck.

Letting them live is compounding the problem or just giving it to your neighbor, IMO. Would you capture and release rattlesnakes down the street?

Of course, that's a Texas point of view - where we DO have rattlesnakes, moccasins, copperheads, coral snakes, scorpions, black widows and tarantulas - and your mileage may vary.

My neighbour is forever feeding the birds. It started with a single nut and seed feeder. Now there must be at least 6 seeders 4 nut dispensers not to mention the floor feeders.

The amount of bread that goes out would feed a third world country for a week.

Don't get me wrong, I love to see birds in the garden. But now there are dozens of crows, magpies, pigeons even seagulls visiting. On several occasions there even someones racing pigeons perched on the extension roof waiting their turn. Their owners must be really peaved when their prized birds can't even get off the ground after the feast let alone win a race.

All the small song birds have gone, either scared off or killed by the corvids.

Now the rats.:o On occasions the odd one ventures into my garden. Usually the size of a large moggie, probably out for stroll to work off its massive indulgence. That's where he meets with my Anschtz .22 rimfire. No messing about...blat.

I can't say a lot to my neighbours. They are very conciderate to my hobby and they make sure all their outside lights are out soon after dark. If they know I'm viewing they keep the curtains pulled and go out of their way to accommodate.

Thanks for that :o

Just been round with the spray expanding foam and filled every gap I could find. I think they were getting in where the pipe carrying the data cables entered through the floor:mad:

You need to remember that they can fit through gaps as wide as the thickness of a biro or pencil.

If you haven't got expanding foam, wire wool is an excellent stop gap. They absolutely hate the stuff.

I have the same problem as Freff - the neighbour overfeeds the birds and our gardens are busy with mice and rats. Being out in the sticks it is normal I suppose, but I hate it when they get into the house. Last year I spent loads of time inspecting the house for gaps and filled them all in!

You need to remember that they can fit through gaps as wide as the thickness of a biro or pencil.

If you haven't got expanding foam, wire wool is an excellent stop gap. They absolutely hate the stuff.

I have the same problem as Freff - the neighbour overfeeds the birds and our gardens are busy with mice and rats. Being out in the sticks it is normal I suppose, but I hate it when they get into the house. Last year I spent loads of time inspecting the house for gaps and filled them all in!

Yep, i have the same problen with next door over feeding the birds as well :o, mice rat's and pigeons and i'm in the suburbs of Manchester, got a cat a few years ago makes all the difference.

Archived