Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pixinsight Help Please

I can't work out how to stack images in Pixinsight. I can star align etc, but as an example, I've just tried to stack 29 subs, and I get 29 alligned files... how do I create a stacked image?

The website tutorials are woeful, and I can't find any help anywhere. Seriously.. for £150 they should damned well give you a manual! (unless they do when you buy it... still on a trial. They should give it out with the trial though as it can only enhance their chances of selling it).

I can't work out how to stack images in Pixinsight. I can star align etc, but as an example, I've just tried to stack 29 subs, and I get 29 alligned files... how do I create a stacked image?

As has been mentioned have a look at Harry's video tutorials, I found them pretty helpful at getting over the initial hurdles.

You need to take the 29 aligned images and integrate (stack) them using the ImageIntegration process under the processing menu :)

Persevere with PixInsight - it's a very powerful application - it just happens to have a rather steep learning curve!

James

I'll check out Harry's videos tomorrow.

Thanks for the fast response guys. With only a month to get to grips with it (and a time demanding job that allows little time) I want to be able to justify the £150.

No manual... LOL. Oh well.

Cheers!

I believe they're working on a documentation system for PixInsight. There are a lot of tooltips available - when doing the image integration hold your mouse over the various options and you should find quite a bit of info in there to help you choose which option to go for.

I'll check out Harry's videos tomorrow.

Thanks for the fast response guys. With only a month to get to grips with it (and a time demanding job that allows little time) I want to be able to justify the £150.

No manual... LOL. Oh well.

Cheers!

Despite the justified critiscism Pixinsight gets about some aspects of it the developers are very responsive to personal contact. When my initial trial ran out I emailed them to say that I had just found Harry's videos and could I extend the trial. They happily sent me a further trial license and I ended up buying the product.

Paul

In Harry's videos, when integrating images, he doesn't mention loading any darks or flats... just a load if images. Do I load them all up at this stage regardless of what type they are?

In DSS you load flats, darks lights etc in separate stages.

EDIT

Just seen the link above regarding bias frames etc... Wow.. do they DELIBERATELY go out of their way to make this as complex as possible?

Also... using image integration to do all this, I seem to be only able to load FITS files. Is this correct? If so, I'm wasting my time here as I'm working with .NEF or .CR2 files. If I have to start jumping through hoops converting formats before I can even do anything, then it's looking more and more likely I'll not be buying this software.

Damn it.. I'm really TRYING to like this software, but they're not making it easy.

You calibrate the images first, then integrate them as a separate process.

In Harry's videos, when integrating images, he doesn't mention loading any darks or flats... just a load if images. Do I load them all up at this stage regardless of what type they are?

In DSS you load flats, darks lights etc in separate stages.

• 3 weeks later...
You calibrate the images first, then integrate them as a separate process.

Yes.. but you integrate them all? Flats, darks etc... all at one at the same time?

On Harry's video, he appears to be integrating just his lights.. what about his darks and flats?

Even after creating master files from them.. how do I stack using these? Where do I load them? In DSS for instance, you load your lights in one section, darks in another, flats in another etc... in Pixinsight's image integration section there's no way of doing this.

Why is there no tutorial for this? I suppose this is all great of your wealthy enough to have loads of time, or retired, but seriously... reading nothing but praise for this software, then realising I simply can not use it makes me not only want to give up on the software, but astro-imaging in general. I don't have time to deal with it.

Is there a tutorial that shows me how to stack my lights, flats, darks and bias frames please? I've now got a video showing me how to align my lights. I have one showing me how to integrate my lights (stack them), but that video doesn't mention flats and darks at all... in it Harry just loads a bunch of light frames. Where are his darks etc? I also have a written tutorial explaining how to create master calibration frames (stupidly complicated considering every other piece of software achieves this with a few clicks), but again... it doesn't explain what the hell I do WITH these frames once created!!! How I integrate them into my stacking process.

For the love of all that's green and good will someone PLEASE create a simple damned tutorial that takes you through all steps... aligning, and stacking... in ONE tutorial, that shows what the hell you do with flats and darks etc... just one video that begins with you loading in all your raw data, and ending with a finished product.

Damn it I'll PAY you.... just do it before I start sending hate mail to Pixinsight.

As has been mentioned have a look at Harry's video tutorials, I found them pretty helpful at getting over the initial hurdles.

You need to take the 29 aligned images and integrate (stack) them using the ImageIntegration process under the processing menu :)

Persevere with PixInsight - it's a very powerful application - it just happens to have a rather steep learning curve!

James

Yep.. worked that out, but what about my flats and darks? Where do they go? I had my 29 aligned lights.. but nowhere to put my other files. There are tutorials showing me how to create master calibration files, but nothing else. What do I do with these files in Pixinsight?? Where in the Image Integration process do I include my flat and dark files?

There are tutorials such as this....

Calibrate Light Frames

Once we have all the master calibration images, we're going to calibrate our light data. First select the light frames in the folder "Calibration/raw/light" by clicking on the <i>Add Files</i> button......

LOAD WHERE??? What tool??? Image calibration or Integration?

Do I include my dark frames at this stage or stacking (integrating)?

Losing the will to live. I just want to be able to WATCH someone load in raw data and, do everything they need to do in order to get to a finished image. I don't even need commentary... I just need to see it in one go instead of all these disparate tutorials.. some video, some written, all written by different people who don't talk to one another.

Whoah! Now thats a long and compicated way of doing things....

I can't agree more.. please tell me you have an easier way!!

Archived