Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC2264 Cone Nebula

Sparrow

That's it for this year on this one. I'm not overly happy with it and it has proved a really toughy with the unmodded Canon. It also seemed like I was never going to get clear nights again to get all the data I wanted and I've been plagued with guiding problems which I think I've finally managed to solve.

4 hours of data made up of 5 and 6 minute subs at ISO800. There's so much sky glow in Chester that even with the LP filter I couldn't go longer which I really needed to do for the fainter nebulosity.

post-14401-133877541803_thumb.jpg

Just read your post and you mentioned your from Chester! me too! :)

I'm currently trying to sort out a DSLR + guiding set up....

I have also just ordered a sky watcher LP filter as I know the LP in chester is pretty terrible! What filter are you using and how effective would you say it was?

Ste.

That a nice one. I'm imaging this one myself right now, also with an unmodded Canon, so it looks like I'll need to get a several hours-worth of of subs to get any detail.

Love the fox fur neb area and those diff spikes look great as well . This is one I miss due to next doors garden fence being in the way I need another mount or another garden or even a session in your back garden John as you are only 10 miles away from Connah's Quay.

Well done looking good

Dave

Thanks everyone - comments much appreciate.

Ste - I use the CLS clip filter - even with that I'm sometimes restricted down to 5 minute subs if the sky's not good - on the best nights I've been able to go up to 15 minute subs, but only high up from the horizon. Ohhh to live in Cumbria. :( Whereabout s in Chester are you?

Very natural looking, and a good result from an unmodded camera, this target is tricky even with a modded/ccd.

I'd say there is perhaps a little more you could do with the data to emphasize the nebulosity a little, so worth hanging on to it to play with on a raindy day sometime :(

Tim

Thanks Tim - Yes I'll probably spend more time processing this in the summer months but for now I'm turning my efforts to galaxy hunting (Oh and sorting out my guiding problems) I fully intend to return to the Cone next winter and get more and better data - a good half of the 4 hours for this is less than I'm happy with so I'm sure that with further effort I can do better - I hope so anyway. :(

I'm currently at university up in Liverpool but all my observing / imaging equipment is in Chester... Upton to be precise. Plenty of annoying street lights unfortunately!

Hoping to try at a skywatcher LP filter over the next couple of weeks and see if it improves much! And then onto my first attempt at deep sky imaging!

Dont know much about clip filters but im assuming they attach to the DSLR? Is there an advantage over using that on the camera other than a 1.25" filter on the eyepiece?

Ste.

Hi Ste. I'm in Upton too - just near the hospital.

Re' LP filters, I did see a comparison some time ago and i think it was on this forum somewhere. From what I can remember the CLS clip filter is quite "aggressive" but unfortunately that's exactly what I need here. I can't comment on the Skywatcher one as I've not used it but there should be people on the forum who have and can comment on it.

One other advantage of the clip filter is that it fits inside the camera (just behind the lense) and clips in - it very effectively keeps dust off the sensor thus avoiding dust "bunnies". The eyepiece type filter should work just fine - the one thing I would say is that if you're using a 1.25" adaptor for the camera you will probably suffer from vignetting or tunnelling of the image but taking flats should help to reduce the effect when proceesing you images.

Hope the LP filter works well for you

Regards

John

Not too far from me then opposite the library!

I was wondering this but do you think a 1.25" to 2" would sort this out?

Hopefully can get all the equipment sorted by the summer, bargain hunting has taken up alot of time recently (although just got a HEQ5- PRO synscan for £375 so mega happy :))

Is there any pieces of equipment that you would say a really important for astrophotography? I have decided on the guided route using a webcam, DSLR and computer for guiding/capture and have most of the relevant items I believe.

Ste.

Archived