Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Bino's

G2EWS

Hi All,

Well after seeing the guys last night at the SPOG star gazing meet I decided I should get some binos.

Quick search on here and a few questions and I drove over to MC2 in Frome this morning and bought a pair of Skymaster 20 x 80.

Seem light enough to handle and they fit on my Gimbal head no problem:

DSC_5481.jpg

Then dug out my fishing chair - not that I fish! - which is particularly good for my back as it is fully adjustable and has a padded wind protected back:

DSC_5482.jpg

Can get the tripod over the chair allowing me to sit down and use the binos no problem.

Looking forward to the first attempt at using them. Will be good for Eleanor - our Daughter - when at SGL6 as well.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Chris

That looks a nice little set up,can you tell me more about the Gimbal head you use

looks interesting and do they do a bigger one for larger binoculars ? at the moment I use a Horizon 8115 will it fit ?

Doug

Essex

Hi All,

Thanks for the coments.

Hi UTMonkey, the 'stand' is a Gitzo GT3530LS carbon fibre tripod I use for photography:

Jacobs Digital | Gitzo GT3530LS Systematic Tripod

Hi Doug, the gimbal is a Wimberley one and reckoned to be one of the best in photography terms:

Review: Wimberley MKII (WH-200) gimbal | Richard Peters Photography blog

Not cheap but amazing:

Wimberley Head Mk II (GIMBALMKII) - Warehouse Express

I use it with a Nikon D3S or D3X and Nikon 200 - 400 VR lens with no problem at all regarding weight.

A definite purchase if you are into any kind of photography that involves movement, birds, vehicles etc.

Taken last weekend using said set up from a bird hide:

DSC_5399PF.jpg

DSC_5443PF.jpg

I should point out these are my first bird photos using the set up so lots to learn yet!

Best regards

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Now Chris, I didn't know you were already getting yourself into imaging as well as observing on this forum. I have to take my hat off to you with the way you have captured both the constellation of Cygnus along with the Swan Nebula in Sagitarius with the first image. I am also equally impressed with your capture and image processing of the Wild Duck Cluster too in the second image. It's clear we shall have to save you from falling into the clutches of astropohotography or the "Darkside" as its known. Many a good soul has slipped that way never to return! :hello2:

I like the binos and the new head, very impressive. I have to say that your chair looks a little too comfortable for my liking and looks more like a sunday afternoon snooze chair! We can't be having any of that soft chair nonsense as you will learn that hard core observing is about frostbite, numb feet and fingers that have the gripping capacity of soft bananas, whilst at the same time trying to banish thoughts of a seductive cosy warm bed and a mug of Horlicks. It would seem, that we will have our work cut out getting you in to shape my lad! :hello2::D:D

Clear skies

James

Archived