Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M101

blinky

Excellent work, you've picked up the faint outer arms very nicely. Most of the noise seems to be chrominence noise. What are the colour and exposure details, there may be ways and means of taming that noise a little. Take away the bit of noise and you have an absolutely stunning image.

Is this image cropped because the reduction looks less than 6.3? It looks more like F10

Your first rendition was ok for me colourwise. Sorry I was getting muddled with the colour comment, it was a OSC so ignore my comments. The main thing causing the noise is the crop. The crop you have done gives a similar FOV to F10 and gives the same sort of noise problems as if you had imaged at F10 but not cropped.

There are some ways of boosting saturation which don't seem to introduce as much noise as using the PS saturation tool.

It's nitpicking though, it's a very fine image.

Here's my take on your image Craig. Ist off I decided not to crop. To work on the colour I used a couple of iterations of shadows and highlights just working on the highlights and colour. I used a duplicate layer and colour as the blend mode. Then a bit of colour tweaking, boosting the red and yellow in the highlights and the blue in the mid tones. Then went into LAB mode and did a contrast boost to the a and b channels.

Did some quick cleaning up of the background and some selective sharpening in the core using high pass filter. I reduced the noise using neat image with some layer masking to protect the bright parts of the galaxy.

The background needs more work!

post-12794-133877541015_thumb.jpg

I should also add, the biggest problem I am having when imaging through the SCT is vigentting. I take flats but even then when I stretch them they dont fit perfectly and I get vignetting, thats why I usually crop.

That is amazing I love the colours. I am really going to have a crack at this one, but i dont expect results like this. 7 hours... Simply stunning.

I had a little play hope you dont mind...

post-19065-133877541056_thumb.jpg

I just thought that there was abit more that could be done with the colours... not sure if this is actually how it is supposed to look lol.

I really love the faint outter arms, you have really done a cracking job on it

Archived