Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Explore scientific 82degree EPs ordered

Has anyone tried these?

I took the plunge and ordered two today from a US Astro shop.

I figured that even with shipping, it's probably a great deal getting these for Their offer price of $99 each.

I've gone for a 14mm and 6.7mm, if they're good I think along with my 30mm aero they will be my workhorses.

Also these focal lengths are quite a bit lighter than some of the others too so hopefully won't upset the dob!

The only downside is that they'll take 2 weeks to arrive. Can't wait!

Congratulations Chris,

I'll look forward to 1st light reviews on those - they seem to be very well thought of across the pond !.

Hope you don't get hit too hard for import duty / VAT etc.

I've no idea what import duty and vat is likely to be, may be nothing, i may get completely stung

I've no idea what import duty and vat is likely to be, may be nothing, i may get completely stung

You will be very lucky if you don't get hit for it. Best expect it then it will be a bonus if you don't get caught.

VAT is 20%

Parcel Force Handling charge was around £8 last time I did this (might have changed - it was a few years back)

Import Duty - not sure

Probably best to assume 30% on top of US purchase price / shipping charges.

You will be very lucky if you don't get hit for it. Best expect it then it will be a bonus if you don't get caught.

VAT is 20%

Parcel Force Handling charge was around £8 last time I did this (might have changed - it was a few years back)

Import Duty - not sure

Probably best to assume 30% on top of US purchase price / shipping charges.

Ok, That takes it to around £100 per eyepiece which still sounds reasonable for a good 82 degree ep.

recently bought a skyfi unit for about $130 - got hit for about £8ish from what recall - wont break the bank compared to other potential purchases :)

Ooh, does the sky fi work well? I was wondering about whether I could use sky wire

ill post a review when get time - in summary does what it says on the tin :) Key point to be aware of with eq6pro it doesnt do alignment - apart from that great way to cheat your way around night sky and see loads of stuff in one night :(

I've been really tempted with those, still am. The duty will be:

20% VAT

4% import duty

£8 handling

And that's charged on the cost of the eyepiece and delivery. So if it's $130 delivered, that will be:

$161, which is roughly £99 + £8 handling. Total all in approx £105-110 per eyepiece. Which is still a good eyepiece considering how much a new Meade 5000 UWA sells for.

Has anyone used the 18mm model of this range? I'd be interested in one as I've just peeked through a 17mm Nagler T4 but can't afford one of those - the ES 18mm is similar spec-wise though and can be had for $149...

Ant

Has anyone used the 18mm model of this range? I'd be interested in one as I've just peeked through a 17mm Nagler T4 but can't afford one of those - the ES 18mm is similar spec-wise though and can be had for $149...

Ant

....plus shipping and taxes

Congrats on the new eyepieces - I look forward to hearing all about them. I've been following the ES threads over on CN with interest as I'm plannin a few myself. Duties weren't too bad... but still a bit of a hit.

First light report.....ooh I like these, definite keepers.

Just a quick report, I wasn't out for long, because the cold and a premature look at the full moon have put a stop to tonight's viewing. Even with a nebula filter on it was so bright. It will be a few dys before my eyes forgive me.

So because of the full moon, double stars and clusters.

Using the f4,7 dob, In the 14mm castor was clearly a double, but towards the edge of the field (15%) the two stars started to merge. In the 6.7mm there was clear separation all the way to the edge.

M35 and m37 were beautiful, the wider field allowing me to 'fall into' the pool of stars filling the field of the 6.7mm

I tried to find m3 but the full moon washed out all pointer stars so I couldn't find it tonight.

A quick look at a low down m42, comparing the 14mm to my 16mm meade5000 swa. The contrast was similar, lovely dust lanes visible with a nebula filter even with the full moon. The extra field was appreciated at higher magnification.

Next onto the moon..sorry, the super moon :) ...crikey it's bright tonight...the whole of the globe was framed nicely in the 14mm. I noticed some yellow fringing on one side of the moon in the ES, and that this was also present, but to a much smaller degree in the Meade swa 16mm, I had intended to look at Saturn too, but I'd cooked my eyeballs looking at the moon, so called it a night.

Overall, these are lovely eyepieces for £90 imported all in. The rubber eye cups are comfortable and allow you to get in close to see all the field. There is a nice big aperture to look through. The 14mm was sharp across the majority of the field, and only slightly off in the outer section, the 6.7 mm seemed sharp all the was across.

I'm very tempted to order some more, but the other focal lengths are quite a bit heavier so might cause me balance issues when viewing low down objects...very very tempting though.....very tempting......

Archived