NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Basic Astronomy

As well as developing my imaging skills, I would also like to start making sketches of my visual astronomy as well.

I have d/l a sample Observing record sheet, which appears to have all the necessary fields for recording conditions and the like, and I will scan and post up my scribbled efforts as and when we get a clear night (could be sometime, I hear you say!).

Just wondered if anyone else did / does this type of recording?

I tend not to keep any records at all... as I only ever seem to do imaging the image itself is a kind of record... within the file name I do keep how many frames and of what exposure but that's it!

Ant

When i was but a child i used to do my own records of the Lunar surface which was fun and a great educational tool. If you skecth at the eyepiece you do take in more details than if you were looking and going to something else.

Keep to the Basic outline's if it's the moon or planets your scketching then if you want you can shade in details later but mark them on your image first so your not getting mixed up.

James

I keep a record of my double star observations.

Date, Time, Seeing & Transparency

I note the scope I use, the eyepiece and the magnification.

I note the colours of the primary and secondary if they are noticable.

I have a 6cm circle and draw the star positions and the backgound field.

I would be happy to post an example or 2 if you want to see them. They are not very artistic as it is a collection of dots within a circle :)

Cheers

Ian

I would be happy to post an example or 2 if you want to see them. They are not very artistic as it is a collection of dots within a circle

I would love to see them Ian esp with your notes..

James :)

James, Daz

Here is an example of the rough field (back garden) notes I make when observing.

I do try to tidy them up later but these notes are pretty much raw.

image.jpg

Cheers

Ian

James

I'm not a member of the SPA , although I have looked at joining the Webb Society.

I hadn't thought of sybmitting these observations as I just do it for my personal satisfaction.

Do you make submissions to the SPA?

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

Cant say as i do Ian i have been into the imaging side of Astronomy for the past few years although slowly getting a healthy balance. I submitted a Fireball Report to the Meteor section last week and a Jupiter observation and image last year but thats about it.

Like you i used to make sketch's and Observation notes for a personal thing but looking back i wished i had spent the time to send them to the SPA. I think it's about 12 quid a year the membership.

Regards

James :)

i was toying with word the other day, then it dawned on me i could make some blanks for mars and print them off.

I did not print in the black background but thicken the circumference. Saves on ink this way.

Those obs look grand.

My copy od amateur astronomers handbook arrived today, will have a look at that.

Al

Archived