Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Sombrero Galaxy

Mick UK

Heres an Image i managed to get early monday morning when we finally had a bit of clear sky up here in the North East.

Its of the Sombrero Galaxy taken with my Skywatcher 250pds/Neq6 pro Mount guides with PHD using my modded skywatcher finderscope and my spc880 (900) and a Modded canon 350d.

I stacked 15 x 3mins exposures in DSS along with 10 x 3mins Darks and then adjusted the image in Adobe CS4.

This image is hard for me to get as it never rises much about a row of shops to the rear of my house and 2 of them are takeaways so i have a problem with the thermals rising! not to mention the horrific light pollution around here as well as a street light directly in line with the Sombrero and almost shining directly down my Tube! :( (It shows how well the Skywatcher Light pollution filter works)

Ive posted this image as a new comer to SGL had been asking how the 250pds fared on Deep sky objects so i thought id show something that wasnt so straight forward for me to get.

Ive cropped the original image by about 30% and reduce the size of the cropped image from 19mb to 3mb

sombrerogalaxyadobed23m.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Well done Mick!

That is a true testament the the power of the 250!

And also showing what can be done through all those obstacles you faced.

I hope you don't mind I thought I could have a wee play with this one as I'm in need of experiance and practicing at processing.

I thought it looks a tad green on my screen, so just did 'auto colour' on PS. I then think I found what you were talking about with that St light shining directly into your scope! With some vignetting.

So tried to do my best to get rid of that via contrast and curves.

Hope you like :(

Michael

post-19381-133877529525_thumb.jpg

Mike your welcome to have a play no probs:)

I think the image we all see depends on our own particular monitors and colour settings.

On my monitor the image looks blob on, but after you've had a play with it, the Sombrero looks overly red and also these splodgy patterns on the overall image as well:eek::(.

Try setting your pc to 32bit colour Mike and see if it looks different;)

and thanks luke, does the image look ok on your pc or is it greenish likes mikes?

I think the image we all see depends on our own particular monitors and colour settings.

On my monitor the image looks blob on, but after you've had a play with it, the Sombrero looks overly red and also these splodgy patterns on the overall image as well:eek::(.

and thanks luke, does the image look ok on your pc or is it greenish likes mikes?

Hi Mick,

I saw your image and just as I was about to go to bed I thought I'd dive in and have a play :)

I'm currently running at 32bit colour and I can't see any splodgy patterns but I agree that the colour is overly red. (I didn't change or alter colour balance at all).

Cheers Mike...not sure if you noticed but is that a double star abouve the Sombrero, about one oclock, there 2 bright stars and the top one has a tiny star very close to it, you'll need to zoom in on the image to split them tho.

Hi Mick,

Yes I think you are right about overly red, when I had another look at it, Probably the result of one of noles actions - increse star colour. I think sometimes it overly saturates everything. Also by no means was my go anywhere near perfect..as I said still very much learning it all. I left it with quite a bit of vigneting, but Mike's go with Pixinsite looks like he solved that.

I also agree no two monitors are alike. Mine is on 32bit. See what others think?

Anyway a really great capture Mick, I would be delighted with that result! :)

Keep up the good work!

Michael

Y'see... the information is always usually there... fantastic joint effort. I'm climbing the walls until I can get an EQ6 and do some 'actual' imaging (not forgetting a required break in this abysmal weather.)

Brilliant image :) It just goes to show that acquisition is only half the battle!

Y'see... the information is always usually there... fantastic joint effort. I'm climbing the walls until I can get an EQ6 and do some 'actual' imaging (not forgetting a required break in this abysmal weather.)

Get an expensive mount and leave it indoors for several weeks like the rest of us :(

Nice reprocessing, guys!

Regarding the colour balance of the original image ...... on my monitor (32 bit colour), it definitely has a fairly strong bluish green cast.

But it's easy to make a monitor-independent check. Use the Photoshop colour sampler tool, set to 5x5 average, and just run it over the image and watch the R/G/B values in the Information box.

Typical values I measured on the brighter parts of the sky background were Red=50, Green=61, Blue=56. The same balance - relatively stronger in green and weaker in red - is apparent in all the brighter stars too. So whatever it looks like on any particular monitor, the image *data* has a definite blue-green cast.

Adrian

Brilliant image :) It just goes to show that acquisition is only half the battle!

Get an expensive mount and leave it indoors for several weeks like the rest of us :(

I think what the UK needs is my Doctor Evil plan send up two massive Laser Equipped Satellites which can perform Doppler Laser Cooling out in the Atlantic to create a region of high pressure, which normally gives us good weather! ;)

Archived