Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunt or Solarscope?

Which of the two makes are best for solar observing? I currently have a Lunt 50mm etalon and B600 blocker, cobbled to a short-focus 60mm refractor. It gives good service for the aperture.

By the way, please don't confuse me with solar observing expert Merlin66, who came after me.:)

I am sure the Solrscopes are the business but I am knocked out by our new Lunt LS60/1200. I dare say you are looking for big upgrade, though? Proms are superb in ours but disc detail is not on a par with the more expensive stuff from what I can remember.

Olly

Thanks everyone for your replies. Here's something else related to LUNT 'scopes. The WIDESCREEN CENTRE sells a range of LUNT 60Ha 'scopes, but why is it that they use different blockers for 'scopes of the same focal length?

All of the LUNT 60mm 'scopes advertised have a focal length of 500mm, but some have the B600 blocker and others the B1200. Why? As I understand it, the B1200 blocker is for 'scopes over 600mm in focal length.

but some have the B600 blocker and others the B1200. Why? As I understand it, the B1200 blocker is for 'scopes over 600mm in focal length.

The larger BF gives a larger illuminated field (less vignetting), this can be useful for imaging but really comes into its own if you want to fit accessories with a large backfocus requirement e.g. binoviewers.

but would a single stack Solarscope compare to a double stack Lunt?

Ask yourself whether you're an imager or a visual observer. A visual observer would be better off with a double stack setup because of the higher contrast. An imager will find the single stack unit more friendly (more uniform illumination, much less likely to have issues with "ghost" images), contrast matters less since it can be tweaked up in post processing.

I had this debate with myself over whether to go with a double stack SF-70 or a single SF-100, again the cost was about the same and there was no way I could stretch to a SF-100 DS. Went with the single SF-100 & haven't regretted my decision.

Interesting brian, I have just got me a Lunt60PT and am thinking of when I can afford a double stack unit...... I plan to do quite a lot of imaging with my DMK41.... so I guess I'd better wait till I have seen what Avistack can deliver before subjecting my wallet to yet more pain?!

Cheers

PEter

Archived