Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What OTA would you get.........

I feel a bit bad for creating this thread, Experienced members will probably be rolling there eyes when they see the title.....another newb asking the same old question......

I have approx £150-£200 max to spend on an OTA. It will sit on an motor driven EQ3-2 I already have.

I have a canon 500D DSLR that I want to make use of by using piggy back method for wide field and also attempt some DSO stuff via direct connection to focuser (nothing to serious....yet)

It would be nice to have somthing which can handle a bit of mag so I can view the planets, but planets are not my main interest, DSO's are.

My thoughts are as follows

SkyWatcher 150p Reflector: Will handle all of above, but probably (realisticaly) to much for the EQ3-2 to handle (with regards to direct photography)

Skywatcher Startravel 102 f/5 frac: besides CA, 2" focuser excellent wide FOV, Easy to use, Fairly small + light = more easy for EQ3 to handle, potentialy good DSO scope, BUT no good for planets.

Skywatcher EvoStar 90 or 102 frac: Will do all the above, and should be ok for planet viewing, but limited FOV, maybe not so good for photography being a slower scope, 102 version bit much for EQ3??

2nd hand small ED/APO refractor: excellent photography tool, No CA problem, Easy for EQ3 to handle, But will have to wait for one to come up and probably slightly over budget.....

I would love the 150p, I think it would be a great scope for observing but I guess from what I have read the EQ3-2 would fail miserably when it comes to piccy's.....

What would you do...?

Firstly, don't worry about asking questions. I think you will find the more experianced members as you say, take plesure in helping as many others out as possible.

IMO I would choose the 2nd hand ED frac...mainly because I have one :) but that means I can vouch for it too. I have had some stunning views IMO of Jupiter and the Moon, and have also used it for imaging...although i'm a newb at that...I can say however it suits me fine. Also for imaging you will find it to be a popular scope of choice for it's CA free optics, light weight and most importantly wide FOV which for most nebulae etc is very handy.

I picked mine (orion ED80-r) up SH on here for £150. And they do come up quite often.

HTH & good luck! :)

Michael

If Goto is a must then I'd be looking at the second hand market with a budget of circa £400. You might just get a 150P on an EQ5 goto mount under 2yrs old in good condition for around that price. Try astro Buy/Sell for now - look to pay around 60%-70% of the current new prices (depending on condition). :)

Archived