Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Upgrading from 15x70 to....update

neilm

So, decided on the Strathspeys 20x90. Gave them a quick call Monday evening, arrived all nicely packaged on Thursday morning, excellent service.

Initial impressions, very well built, all the actions nice and smooth. Visually, flipping cloud as per usual so I pointed then at the local cathedral about 2 miles away...Brilliant, marvellous, very sharp, could even see the brick work (it’s a 60's cathedral famous only for being the film The Omen).

So all I need now is a quick trip to Maplins to get a good sturdy case and some clear skies.

Cheers

Neil

Neil,

Good choice on the 20x90's I have owned a pair for a couple of years,though they haven't had the use they deserve.

I still think the best views I've had of Andomeda Galaxy and M32 ,M110 are through these bins.

A few weeks ago I had The Trapezium just about be resolved into all four stars on an excellent seeing night.The "fish mouth" and "wings" of the Orion nebula were also impressive.

Cheers

Jon

Congrats on the new binos! I'm not at all familiar with that brand - can you post a link where you got them so I could see the specs??

I'd like to know if they are similar to the equipment we have available here in the states.

Dan

Dan,

See the link below. The good thing on this site is you can see the exact specs for each binocular you are interested in purchasing.

Especially important and helpful is the coatings level on the lenses for each binocular,these are graded one to four.

I also have the 20x90's and they are excellent binocular,the multi coatings at level 4 make them great for astronomy.

Jon

Strathspey Binoculars

So how are they?

Unfortunately do to pressures of work and the weather I’ve only managed a quick half hour the other evening, and even then I had to keep on waiting for the clouds to blow through. Any good, yes, very pleased with them. A brief tour of the skies that evening, moon excellent detail, very sharp image; Jupiter all four moons and Jupiter itself, well not quite pin sharp but the best I’ve seen through bins; and everyone’s friend at the moment the Orion nebula, very good, easy seen and distinguishable from the rest of the objects around it. It suprising how much more light you get with the x90 versus the x70.

I will be switching to the Horizon tripod through, whilst the Velbron is good, when it at fullest height with it wound all the way up it can suffer a little from vibration.

Other than that, cracking bins, well worth the money.

Cheers

Neil

So how are they?

Unfortunately do to pressures of work and the weather I’ve only managed a quick half hour the other evening, and even then I had to keep on waiting for the clouds to blow through. Any good, yes, very pleased with them. A brief tour of the skies that evening, moon excellent detail, very sharp image; Jupiter all four moons and Jupiter itself, well not quite pin sharp but the best I’ve seen through bins; and everyone’s friend at the moment the Orion nebula, very good, easy seen and distinguishable from the rest of the objects around it. It suprising how much more light you get with the x90 versus the x70.

I will be switching to the Horizon tripod through, whilst the Velbron is good, when it at fullest height with it wound all the way up it can suffer a little from vibration.

Other than that, cracking bins, well worth the money.

Cheers

Neil

Good report and pretty much the way i found these bins to be. Observing the moon when nearly full i find feels like you are having holes burnt through your eyeballs. I'll definitely be making something to stop down the lens'.

I'd be interested to know how you get on with galaxies with these bins under a full moon. I found that they just cut right through the moonlight and galaxies are no problem. I have seen M31 and a couple in Leo with these bins under full moon light.

They really are a cracking pair of bins.

Good report and pretty much the way i found these bins to be. Observing the moon when nearly full i find feels like you are having holes burnt through your eyeballs. I'll definitely be making something to stop down the lens'.

I'd be interested to know how you get on with galaxies with these bins under a full moon. I found that they just cut right through the moonlight and galaxies are no problem. I have seen M31 and a couple in Leo with these bins under full moon light.

They really are a cracking pair of bins.

Cutting through moonlight only works if the sky is very transparent. I tried finding a few DSOs with my 15x70 and 8" SCT two days ago. I was absolutely sure I was in the right spot, but nothing was visible. Just the slightest haze completely ruins your chances of seeing anything.

Hi Neil

Nice report there mate ,I thought Strathspeys would be really good

I don't know if you are aware Oberwarks 10x60 mariner that I have from the USA are the same as the Strathspeys and they make the 10x50 mariner for here, great views very crisp

fill like they will last forever great value for money IMHO This maybe why Paul has not seen many on here

Doug

Essex

Cutting through moonlight only works if the sky is very transparent. I tried finding a few DSOs with my 15x70 and 8" SCT two days ago. I was absolutely sure I was in the right spot, but nothing was visible. Just the slightest haze completely ruins your chances of seeing anything.

I agree, I have problems with high humidity, being near the sea sometimes ruins an otherwise perfect night. The slight haze scatters LP and any moonlight. On dry nights even with the moon the seeing can be good. Local conditions can make a huge difference, I proved this by seeing way more through my old 10x50 bins and my ancient Meade 114 newt on a dry moonlit night than I can see through my 12" dob on humid moonless night.

That's true.

I based my comment on a single nights observing under a full moon. I spotted about 6 galaxies that night.

Hi Neil

Nice report there mate ,I thought Strathspeys would be really good

I don't know if you are aware Oberwarks 10x60 mariner that I have from the USA are the same as the Strathspeys and they make the 10x50 mariner for here, great views very crisp

fill like they will last forever great value for money IMHO This maybe why Paul has not seen many on here

Doug

Essex

You are right.Most BIG bins are all made in the same factory but are sold internationally under different names. Oberwarks and Strathspey bins are the same bins.

When you buy Strathspey bins...............they are not branded as such. Its the company name you go by (Strathspey binoculars.........in Scotland.........owned by John).

Great guy. Pleasure to deal with. Quality bins (he doesnt make them himself).

Its just rare online to see people buying from John up there in Scotland.

Hi Neil, good to see you have had a chance to use the bins, I would agree with the comments given already about the views through them, how did you find the CA? did you use them straight away or give them a cooling down period?. I have noticed a fair bit of CA with my Helois but have put it down to using them immediately when I have gone outside, not that its been too often with the current weather :p

Yes, I think you should get yours on the Horizon, it will be a better option in reducing vibrations. :)

Hi Neil, good to see you have had a chance to use the bins, I would agree with the comments given already about the views through them, how did you find the CA? did you use them straight away or give them a cooling down period?. I have noticed a fair bit of CA with my Helois but have put it down to using them immediately when I have gone outside, not that its been too often with the current weather :p

Yes, I think you should get yours on the Horizon, it will be a better option in reducing vibrations. :)

Alan,

I didn't give them a cooling down time, I should have really but I was pretty much in a rush, work etc. I haven't noticed any CA stargazing but I have noticed a little when giving them a quick look in daylight, I think it all depends upon what your looking at. Solid objects like houses at the back of me, no CA, look at say a crow or raven then yes, I'm guessing its the light going through the edge of the feathers.

Similar with my Helios 15x70 to a lesser degree, my Nikon AE 10x50 no CA at all but they're were more expensive. I guess it's down to the mag and the price.

Cheers

Neil

Alan,

I didn't give them a cooling down time, I should have really but I was pretty much in a rush, work etc. I haven't noticed any CA stargazing but I have noticed a little when giving them a quick look in daylight, I think it all depends upon what your looking at. Solid objects like houses at the back of me, no CA, look at say a crow or raven then yes, I'm guessing its the light going through the edge of the feathers.

Similar with my Helios 15x70 to a lesser degree, my Nikon AE 10x50 no CA at all but they're were more expensive. I guess it's down to the mag and the price.

Cheers

Neil

Hi Neil, thanks for your reply, I will have to check them put again, it was certainly present when observing the Moon and I guess it should have been expected, I do have CA when using the scope if I do not give it a decent spell to settle down, temp wise. Like yourself my obsevations using the Helois have been a bit rushed so will be taking my time next chance I get to use them :p

Thanks again :)

Archived