Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron NexStar 8SE

At the end of last year I bought myself a Celestron 130EQ and the first time I took a peek skywards I was hooked :) I bought the 130EQ to see if the hobby was for me and as I mentioned I was hooked straight away so time for something bigger. I need portability and having struggled finding objects I wanted GoTo so narrowed my choice down to the NexStar 8SE, CGEM 800 and CPC 800 GPS and headed off to Opticstar in Sale last saturday. Anyway after seeing the scopes in the flesh and wanting fast setup with portability the CGEM 800 was knocked off the list, next to go was the CPC 800 GPS mainly due to the increased weight over the 8SE. So the 8SE won the day.

Time to find out how good it was going to be and tonight offered me the first chance to see. I'm really pleased to say the least. Setup was easy, GoTo accurate and the view is fantastic.

Looking forward to clear skies.

Dave

I really like my 8SE and the more I use it the more I enjoy it. The optics seem limited only by the seeing conditions, downsides are a tendency for the image to "jump" on initial handset correction, this can be edited out with the backlash correction feature, and slight tube dithering when focusing, this can be mitigated by practice.

How long have you had your Nexstar?

It's taking me a while to work out all of the niceties of the goto mount. Do you use the precise goto mode very much?

I've only had it a couple of weeks and have been at home for just two nights observing in that time. I'm new to astronomy and upgraded to the 8SE after a couple of months with a 5" Newt.

The first GoTo setup was a bit hit and miss but I went through the process again and accuracy was much improved. The second night it was spot on accurately tracking and the GoTo was accurate for the couple of objects I used it for. It is much more accurate if you use three points that are as far apart as possible and you centre the target accurately.

Hope that was of some help.

Dave

Archived