Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Supernova 2011b

george7378

Last night, I decided to try my luck with the galaxy NGC 2655 and SN2011b (my first supernova sighting) I found the galaxy after about 20 minutes of star hopping, looking at the patterns in the sky, and coming back in to check Stellarium. When the galaxy eventually did come into the field of view, it was suprisingly evident for a galaxy with a surface brightness of +13.2, and was visible even at 120X as a circular fuzzy patch with a defined core. I saw the SN after observing with averted vision, and it was a really profound thing - the last burst of light the star will ever give, ending its 64 million year journey on my eyes. I was even able to ramp up the magnification to an amazing 240X and still see the SN and the galaxy core with averted vision. I found that the objects were best viewed at 120X though. I made a sketch of the SN and surrounding stars - can anyone confirm that it definitely was the SN that I observed? It appeared to be as bright as the core of the galaxy - about mag. 13.2 (+/- 0.5 magnitudes I would guess). Here are my sketches (my first DSO sketch too):

SN2011b3.jpg

SN2011b2.jpg

SN2011b2-labelled.jpg

As I said - I would appreciate it if anyone could please confirm that this probably is the SN! I will definitely be returning to the galaxy to see it evolve over the weeks.

Thanks for the confirmations - those are very nice images, Ibbo ! Congrats on getting such good ones. Thanks for the compliments jahmanson - I didn't know they were that rare! I bet I'll learn to appreciate having seen this a lot more as I get older. Wow! I really feel privileged having seen this.

How long will this supernova be visible for? unfortunately we have had cloud and gales for the last week or so and cant get out to view - hopefully over the next few days the weather will change!

Nice sketches George, I particularly like the third with the stars identified

Best

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

I had an opportunity to check back tonight, and I found the same star patterns, and, soon enough, the galaxy. It was still sitting there as before; a faint round blob which could be mistaken for a diffuse star if you were in a hurry. The SN was not there any more, or it was at least out of the range of my scope. It is quite amazing to see the scene transformed so much - can anyone else confirm that it has definitely gone?

Thanks.

I too went back to NGC2655 last night in a brief clear spell to see if I could find the SN again in my 12". I had to ramp the magnification up to x300. Just managed to glimpse it. It really is very faint now and required a good deal of perserverence to see it. It is now about mag 14.5 I would say. so beyond alot of smaller scopes.

I have started work on a two-frame animation sketch to show the level of fade over the last month from my last two observations.

It was very clear and transparent last night so after 3 hours viewing I ended the evening with a view of NGC2655.

Clearly the Supernova 2011b has faded beyond the 10" ability. Having viewed the supernova on a number of occasions I knew its exact position but last night there was no sign of it.

A nice experience of seeing it whilst it happened though.

Mark

I took an image with the Bradford Robotic Telescope (Bradford Robotic Telescope) on the 1st March 2011 at 01:30 UCT. The supernova has pretty much receded below the capabilities of my 10-inch telescope, as I looked visually a few days earlier and was not able to see it. I would estimate it to be dimmer than magnitude 14, and thought I would take a picture of it with the BRT before it subsided completely. The image is copyrighted to the BRT, and processed by me:

Supernova 2011b (robotic telescope) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Archived