Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I've Bought a Skywatcher 200p EQ

After pondering on this for over 48 hours, I finally phoned our friends over at FLO and had a little discussion with Martin. I decided last night that it would either be the Celestron eyepice set & case or a new scope. They had run out of both, with stocks being very low due to Brian Cox and Co on the telly last month.

Anyway, serious abuse of my bank balance resulted in me buying the Skywatcher 200, which should be delivered by next Tuesday or Wednesday. I can't wait!

Any pics taken with the Skywatcher 200 posted on this thread will be greatly appreciated - so I know what to expect (kind of).

Cheers

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any pics taken with the Skywatcher 200 posted on this thread will be greatly appreciated - so I know what to expect (kind of).

Cheers

You probably already know this, but photos taken through a scope are nothing like what can be seen visually.

I'd suggest having a look in the sketches section as these will represent what the eye can actually see much better.

Congratulations on the scope by the way :)

Congratulations with the purchase, I'm sure its going to be great!

I've got my eye on the 200P as my next scope, even though I've only had my Mak127 a month, and took my first look through a telescope eyepece a few days later I'm already coveting that 200P!

That's not to say I'm not enjoying the Mak, I had a great time tonight. Somehow I've got to resist the tempation for the next 12 months or so and give the Mak the time it deserves!

Hi Rob,

I said something similar a few weeks ago lol! - I was (still am) happy with my Celestron 130. But like I said in another thread - no more purchases for me for at least a year: I've spend the best part of £500 in the last 3 months and being a mature student whose subject has nothing to do with astronomy, that is a lot of money!

It's going to be another couple of weeks before the people at FLO can get this scope to me. I'm a bit miffed as I was told on the phone the day I ordered that it'd be here by Tuesday or Wednesday this week :(

Think FLO are struggling to meet demand at the mo. I ordered a new cheshire e.p back in January, still not received it yet and that's just a one little item.

Good luck with your order though, sure it will be well worth the wait.

I've got my eyes on a Skywatcher 200 as well, the PDS model with EQ5 but my understanding is there are non currently in the country. I've rung round virtually every supplier and the answer is the same, non due in until March. BC and BBC did a great job apparently:(

Never mind, gives me time to do some reading and research, and anyway we haven't had anything like a clear sky for some weeks now so my only 'stargazing' so far is via Stellarium.

Roy, Have you tried Rother Valley Optics?

I ordered my 200P EQ-5 pro goto from them on 26th Jan, stock came in to them last Thursday (3rd Feb) and my order was shipped the follwoing day to arrive on Monday (7th). The staff at RVO are very helpful and were truthful.

Even from the middle of a light polluted town with 1st quarter (or there about )the images this scope gives is amazing.. using an 8mm eyepiece (125x) Jupiter and the four large moons were visible with one belt clearly identifiable... can't wait to take this to a dark site with good seeing.

This scope represents excellent value for money.. for less than £665 you get a lot of kit, and with the goto all the possibilities of remote control from PC should you ever need to go down that route. Explorer 200P EQ5 SynScan EQ GOTO Mount With DVD | Telescopes | Rother Valley Optics

Edit: - Just phoned Ian at RVO and they shipped out 2 of these, one on an HEQ5 mount yesterday, so stock might be tight - was advised for anyone wanting one to give them a call quick as they might still have one 200P OTA left

I have also just purchased one. it says it is in stock so hopefully I won't have to wait. Just got to mention it to hubby now!

So what flavor did you opt for... driven or not? Goto? HEq5? P or PDS?

As for hubby - Rump steak with all the trimmings might sweeten him up... :(

I went for the eq5 goto.He just came in and I said Ive done something a bit naughty but it was my savings not yours. What you done bought a great big telescope like that one we saw the other day (see astrobaby look at the size of that post) yes I said. I showed him the pic in above post and he said I was avin a larf, I said its ok it will fit in the conservatory he said how much? I told him He said that aint bad I thought you were going to say £2000.... I should have got a bigger one. He had steak last night, hes got a pass for curry with the boys tonight...

Jen

I ordered the 200p eq5 (not driven) last night from teleskop-express cost 449 euros.

Had an email at 8:30 this morning to say that order was being processed - hope it comes soon.

This is my first scope, have only been observing with my old bins so far.

Hope you all enjoy your new scopes.

Jen, you could of got away with the 10" on a HQ6 in that case :(

Bill, in the past I've use a 4.5" cheap reflector, and a decent 4" Vixen refractor... the 200P blows them a way... it's an excellent scope and I'm really pleased with mine, and I'm sure you and Jen will be too

Apparently its all Brian Cox's fault! The amount of orders for telescopes has increased by many hundreds of per cent, especially at this time of year when the shops expect to sell little to no telescopes.

Thanks for the picture, Nick. I hope I can get it onto my balcony, otherwise its the back garden for me, and I don't know how them downstairs will react (even though I generaly get on well with me neighbours).

Archived