Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher autofocuser

IvanT

This does sound good, so these are worth the money? and will improve focus?

also am i right in thinking once this is installed you cant manualy use the focuser and will be stuck to the auto focuser for life?, unles of course you remove it, i only use my scope for observing not photo's, is it just a benefit to photo's or an improvment for all.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This does sound good, so these are worth the money? and will improve focus?

also am i right in thinking once this is installed you cant manualy use the focuser and will be stuck to the auto focuser for life?, unles of course you remove it, i only use my scope for observing not photo's, is it just a benefit to photo's or an improvment for all.

If you use a pully cable like this:

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/125767-c8-sct-motor-focusser.html

you can still turn the focusser manually because the cable will slip. If you connect it with gears (or directly to the focus shaft) like this:

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/127067-yet-another-motorized-focuser.html

then the motor is too stiff to turn by hand and you will have to use the controller. The main benefit visually is that the scope doesn't wobble when you focus it, and you don't lose high mag targets.

With the motor on my 200P I simply undo the grub screws connecting the motor to the focuser shaft, then the focuser works manually as normal using the other focuser knob on the other side.

The main advantage is that there is no wobble when using the motor to focus. The speed setting lets me get far finer control than by hand. Also, having the motor connected seems to reduce the slop and sag in my old rack and pinion focuser.

Here is the circuit board from inside the controller. Note any mods you do to the board are at your own risk and will invalidate any warranty with the unit.

Cheers BA :) I may look into this as the resisters are cheap enough and it would add that little bit more fine control.

With the motor on my 200P I simply undo the grub screws connecting the motor to the focuser shaft, then the focuser works manually as normal using the other focuser knob on the other side.

The main advantage is that there is no wobble when using the motor to focus. The speed setting lets me get far finer control than by hand. Also, having the motor connected seems to reduce the slop and sag in my old rack and pinion focuser.

Well thats sold me, cheers Glider:icon_salut:

Ah, so dumb question then, why not just connect up 2 wires instead of shorting 4 wires to make 2 connections, that is, is there a reason why the shorting is necessary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what you guys are after as a means of controlling the speed of the autofocuser with different rate switches (sort of course and fine) - and be able to control this from a PC.

Should be doable using a cheap PIC micro - I'm in the middle of a current project for controlling the environment in my reptile enclosures but this autofocuser could make an ideal next project. for those interested have a look at "thermostat project" on my web site Micro Heli.Co.Uk

• 3 weeks later...

One of our suppliers, HitecAstro, is developing a PC focus controller that should be ready first week in march. It will have an ascom driver and be compatible with Focus Max, Maxim DL, etc. It will probably retail for £65.

HTH :glasses1:

One of our suppliers, HitecAstro, is developing a PC focus controller that should be ready first week in march. It will have an ascom driver and be compatible with Focus Max, Maxim DL, etc. It will probably retail for £65.

HTH :)

no thats no help at all :p need a elec focuser now or shall i wait :glasses1:

;)

Sounds good.... I was thinking of using one of the PICs that have USB functionality and simply replicating the actions of the buttons on the hand unit by making various pins go high accordingly. But then you need to write the PC application to talk to the PIC... and by the time I've co-opted a mate to do that FLO will have their unit on sale :glasses1:

FLO should make it a package.?

the sw focuser and the pc adapter.

maybe an option lose the hand controller and a little cost to the SW focuser if poss.

£100 all in would be right up many peoples street imo.:)

personally if poss i'd just buy the motor as a spare part and make all the cables as i have all of those rj10/11 plugs and crimp tools.

:glasses1:

I use one of these to control the SW focusser from my PC: Shoestring Astronomy FCUSB Focus Motor Controller. . It also controls my other custom motor on my ED80 (I only use one at a time). It comes with some software (FocusPal) that lets you move the focusser continuously, pulsed or when the button is pressed, and you can change the movement rates:

post-16060-133877534566_thumb.jpg

Looks good, my guess is that the software communicated via RS232 ?

Lee, I think you are right, focuser motor, small control box (or better still a USB dongle) and suitable software in one package for £75 - £90 and I think you'll have a fantastic package. £45 for those who want the focuser with the hand control as is, or pay the extra £40 for the PC controlled version. Or FLO could sell the PC control as an option so it gives the best of both worlds

Archived