Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

London woes?

Sharpiejas

welcome to a great forum,do let the light pollution put you off coz there is a lot of stuff up there to keep you interested and as people say it is good practice for when you get to dark skys......Anyway its the blumming cloud that doesnt seem to want to dissappear that gets ya down..

Anyway enjoy you time here dazz

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome from me - I have appaling light pollution but I travel to a dark sky location.

For me the size of the scope has to be offset agaisnt a need to retain some form of portability. I went with GoTo in the end because my chances of observing where I live are nil and between my limited time due to weather, family commitments, work, boring stuff like eating and sleeping I realised I would never learn the sky well enough.

You need to balance what your requirements are and make choices based on where you will observe ? Will you require portability ? ?ow much gear can you carry ? How much gear do you want to carry ? How do you transport it ? How do you store it ?

How much time do you have to learn the sky ? How much time do you have for the hobby ?

When you know the answers to these questions the scope choice can be narrowed down a great deal.

ps - i should just mention that there are no stars shine within 5 miles of WHL - never have been, never will be.

oh, except pat jennings :)

lol, i'm a west ham fan so i know what you mean. Looks like we will be facing you in the Carling cup final too.

Everyone else, thanks for all your welcomes. I look forward to you all helping me with good advice!

Archived