Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tripod height question

parvee

Hi,

Total newb here, just starting with binos (15x70). I know I'll need a tripod with these and I know it should be solid. But how high should it be, so it's comfortable to use the binos (I'm 5ft9, 179cm). Whatcha think?

I dont think there has ever been a definitive answer to this question. When you think about it, the human head only really tilts back comfortably about 45-60 degrees from a looking straight forward position. So you want a tripod that is about 6 inch taller then you are when it is fully extended.

This is all pure guess work.

how high should it be, so it's comfortable to use the binos

With the binoculars mounted, pointing level and the centre column fully down, the eyepieces should be at the same height as your eyes when standing normally (or sitting, or kneeling, or however you find most comfortable). How high the tripod is depends on how much extra height the head and mounting bracket add. The extra height needed when the bins are pointing above the horizon can be got by judicious use of the rising centre column, saves messing around with the leg height.

Try to avoid using the second slider in the legs if at all possible, the load carrying capacity and general solidity is reduced if you do.

I've also been wondering about this because being 6'2'' I am gonna be struggling so I have done some browsing for suitable tripods.

FLO do the Horizon one (Tripods - Horizon 8115 2-Way Heavy Duty Tripod) which has a rated height of 180cm. If you use a ballhead like this one Triton Panhead, Ballhead Action Grip for tripod on eBay (end time 18-Feb-11 12:02:50 GMT) it will probably be about the right height for you.

I think I wiil be going for the same ballhead on the tripod at the bottom of this page Binoculars UK Ltd. Camlink TP PRO Tripods

It goes to 200cm and gets very good reviews.

The extra height needed when the bins are pointing above the horizon can be got by judicious use of the rising centre column, saves messing around with the leg height.

But the central column extended can also make the bins shaky. I guess it all depends just how solid your tripod is.

hi all

I have a heavy pair of 15x70s - Helios Apollos and am 6'3".

At this magnification and weight (maybe even to 20x80s) I feel a monopod is perfectly adequate. I was lucky enough to get a good deal from John as he was selling both his bins and monopod/head and I love this combo http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-reviews/110130-manfrotto-682b-monopod-triton-ballhead-action-grip.html - I bought this exact set-up. It's basically my travel/holiday/quick peek in the garden gear.

I prefer sitting in my http://stargazerslounge.com/members-equipment-gallery/97962-observing-chair.html on the lowest setting and I can then quite comfortably look at the Zenith and anywhere else really. It's all very stable.

How steady are Monopods?

I am still swayed towards a Tripod because I can set the bins at what I want to look at and the missus, friends and relatives can have a gander too. Also good for star parties. Always amazes me how people are shocked by what they can actually see through bins. :D

I fail to see how a monopod which has 1 leg can be anywhere near as stable as a tripod which has 3 legs.

effectively it has three legs too. the leg and your two elbows resting on your knees. when sat down I have found the monopod (the one I have actually has three little legs at the base) to be as stable as a tripod and much more flexible. trying leaning a bit left or right with a tripod (or looking at the Zenith). :D

I fail to see how a monopod which has 1 leg can be anywhere near as stable as a tripod which has 3 legs.

That's what I've been thinking too. If I was to get something to put the bins on I would want it to completely stop the star trails not just lessen them a bit.

quite true I suppose. if it's for other people to use to after a handover from you then a tripod is definitely better for this. you could make/buy a parallelogram mount which would be even better.

Yeah I have looked at this but it just looks so big and clumbersome but the benefits are great for social viewing. I would have to make as they are mega £'s to buy. Mind you I'd best get the DIY done in the house first or 'She' won't be very happy :D

effectively it has three legs too. the leg and your two elbows resting on your knees. when sat down I have found the monopod (the one I have actually has three little legs at the base) to be as stable as a tripod and much more flexible. trying leaning a bit left or right with a tripod (or looking at the Zenith). :D

True. I never thought of it like that but i cant help but think a monopod will still be less stable because it wil still move with your breathing in and out?

I feel a monopod is perfectly adequate.

The issue here is that a monopod tends to fall over unless you keep hold of it all the time - which makes looking at charts etc. quite difficult, unless you happen to have a prehensile tail or something :D

A good tripod is an excellent investment - it should last a lifetime.

Buy a "Triton ball head grip" on a steady tripod. Do not buy head for the tripod and save the money. I have Triton it is ideal for this binoculars weight.

Tripod is not necessary to be too long. You can use a chair. Advantages: More time for easy observing, more steady tripod because of the low center of gravity.

That's what I've been thinking too. If I was to get something to put the bins on I would want it to completely stop the star trails not just lessen them a bit.

Yeah I have looked at this but it just looks so big and clumbersome but the benefits are great for social viewing. I would have to make as they are mega £'s to buy. Mind you I'd best get the DIY done in the house first or 'She' won't be very happy :D

I suppose every astro purchase (probably every purchase) is about compromises. there's always good an bad about any system. I think if you are likely to regularly hand over eg in the garden then maybe a tripod is best. see how you go and if it works then happy days and if not then you could always make a P mount eventually. they are very good - I made one out of an old tripod and some bits I have for nothing. that said, I prefer my monopod anyday.

The issue here is that a monopod tends to fall over unless you keep hold of it all the time - which makes looking at charts etc. quite difficult, unless you happen to have a prehensile tail or something :D

A good tripod is an excellent investment - it should last a lifetime.

not if it has three little legs at the bottom like mine :evil1:

take your point though.

True. I never thought of it like that but i cant help but think a monopod will still be less stable because it wil still move with your breathing in and out?

the image is rock solid, honestly. brianb makes a good point though with most monopods. my set up was bought mainly for holidays and quick peeks in the garden and works for me (obviously in conjunction with a couple of decent scopes). :D

Archived