NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

1st light : MN190 on Bodes

Catanonia

Well as you have probably realised, I have sold my SW ED120 and got myself a new SW MN900 Astrograph Mak-Newt

And amazingly the skies were birlliantly clear last night, but there was a bright high full moon.

Never the less I wanted to have a play and see how the MN900 1000mm F5.3 would compare to my older ED120 F7.5

So I picked Bodes Galaxies as they would be in a nice position for most of the night.

I had loads of focusing problems to begin with, but ditched the OAG as not enough inward with this larger width OAG and setup with the MN190 on a ADM Bar balance by ED80 and WO66 piggybacked.

It is definately maxxing out the NEQ6Pro mount I have, but guiding seems ok.

Managed to get 1hour per LRGB in 5 min subs with the QHY9 mono camera.

I had to heavily play with the image to remove moon shine and other stuff, it was very bright that moon last night, but I am amazed at the results UNDER A FULL MOON.

Not the cleanest image, and lost some background due to filtering out the moon shine, but well there is a considerable amount of data there.

So all in all.

MN190 = BIG, HEAVY, but a really nice light bucket with great stars to edges on a large CCD.

And it really attracts dew on the front, even with a nice celestron dew shield and heater coils, when I switched off, within 10mins it was covered.

Now for a stripdown and built properly with time and lessons learnt.

post-16631-13387751986_thumb.jpg

Really nice picture.

Regarding your focus travel with the OAG, I would need a BFL of about 60mm to focus with a SX FW + OAG + H16. Do you think that is possible on the MN190?

I would need to measure and check mate, but it is tight.

I am having to sell my lovely lumicron OAG and look at the TSOAG one.

With the lumicron it extends too far out of the focuser and I can not in focus enough to get focus.

Not sure how I would measure if you could do it. Where do you measure your 60mm from, the lip of the focuser ??

I would need to measure and check mate, but it is tight.

I am having to sell my lovely lumicron OAG and look at the TSOAG one.

With the lumicron it extends too far out of the focuser and I can not in focus enough to get focus.

Not sure how I would measure if you could do it. Where do you measure your 60mm from, the lip of the focuser ??

I suppose the best case would be when the drawtube is moved fully in to the focusser, exposing the 'maximum' amount of BFL. The 60mm would then be from the drawtube lip (what the EP hits to stop it) to the focal plane.

If you know the distance from the nosepiece lip on your camera setup to your camera focal plane, you could measure how far out you move the drawtube to focus the image in the camera. This distance plus the camera lip-focal plane distance would be the maximum accessable BFL.

For the dew Steve, I use a dewstrap around the corrector, and a dewshield. Never really get any problems that way.

TJ, yeah did that last night on horsehead and never got dew. It is only when u switch it off you get it.

I remembered this time to put the end cap on immediately afterwards.

Archived