Supply and Demand

Hi all

This will probably only apply to the "newbies" in here.....but,

Is it me or has a recent telly program caught most telescope suppliers off guard ??

I've posted previously on a few different types of telescopes that I've been interested in.

Made my mind up on a Celestron C6S-GT

Got the money to buy it..........can I get one anywhere ?

Nope !

I'm happy to wait to get the scope I want, but are some shops not loosing some trade due to lack of stock ??

Just a thought

Regards as always

Neil

I think its just a bit of bad timing as you have to remember that a week earlier was the suppliers busiest time ie Christmas.

As most Astrokit is sourced in the far east and shipped over in containers the lead times are months rather than weeks , add to the mix that we are now heading towards lighter evenings and usually stock demand dips over the spring and summer.

As Stargazing Live was an unknown i think it was to be expected that certain scopes would end up in very short supply.Maybe next year if the BBC repeats and gives enough notice the supply situation will be better as the suppliers will have a better idea of what to order.

Maybe as suggested above have a look at other scopes or consider a different supplier.

Hi Smudgeball, I don't want to start spending your money for you but I guess the Celestron C9.25 was a bit to expensive even though FLO had them at a decent price recently. I think they were going for around £900, pretty much a bargain and really well regarded by imagers.

Alan

FLO told me they are telling people 2 day delivery at the mo instead of the usual 1, due to a certain Dr Cox.... but that's still not bad :-) (assuming they have what you want in stock) :-)

I am surprised at just HOW big a response the show has got, my local astro club said they normally get 6 people max at their monthly introduction nights, last week they got to their 25 person capacity and had to turn people away!

Ben

I ordered my first scope yesterday (Thursday) and was secretly hoping it might turn up today - pero nada :)

Lets hope they make Saturday deliveries, but not holding my breath. Birthday on Monday so would be great if it turns up then.

Can`t wait!

Hi,

That's a real downer, money to spend and no one wants it.

I haven't got much hope because over the last few days I've been trying to decide what my first scope was going to be and had pretty much decided on the same scope.

Oh well carry on looking.

All the best,

Alan.

Well that's the power back on !

Just had email from James (the man who does'nt sleep) from FLO.

He's going to see what's available on Monday.

Like I say, I'd prefer to hang off rather than just rush in and get a scope just for the sake of getting one.

Neil

.......I don't do waiting !

Are you sure astronomy is the right hobby for you SC63 ? - I seem to have spent much of my 30+ years in it waiting for one thing or another - usually clear skies :)

Only joking , I,m a keen angler as well and waiting is part of that game , however when purchasing something I'm very inpatient !

Ah ! - me to, and for C a r p as well - you need the patience of a saint for them !.

I ordered my first scope yesterday (Thursday) and was secretly hoping it might turn up today - pero nada :D

Lets hope they make Saturday deliveries, but not holding my breath. Birthday on Monday so would be great if it turns up then.

Can`t wait!

What time are we coming round to sing Happy Birthday and get our slice of cake? :)

Archived