Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Equatorial Mount (trying not to sound too daft)

So, I get my mount set up and Polar aligned but now I want to look at something behind me. I swivel my scope around and my eyepiece and finder scope are in an almost impossible angle to see through.

Is it just a case of undoing the screws and twisting the scope so they are easy to get at or am I doing something wrong?

Please don't laugh too much :icon_eek:

Welcome to the joys of the equatorial mount !. As the others have said, carefully loosen the tube rings and rotate the tube to get the eyepiece and finder to an accessible position. Some folks add another tube ring to stop the scope sliding down when the other two are loosened.

You will find, after a while, that you can get a "favourite" tube position that is suitable for 80% of your viewing. Then it's just a case of a quick "rotate" for those akward to reach places!

I also put a bit of tape on the tube under one of the rings with a pencil line on it at the balance point. The tube often slips when you try to rotate it - so the line allows you to lock the tube back at the right place and not have to faff about re-balancing.

PS Its ***'s law that says if you get the eyepiece position right it is impossible to get your eye to the finder scope eyepiece!!!

Does this depend on what sort of scope you have (ie you need to do it for a Newtonian)?

I've not exactly had a lot of opportunity to look at things through mine (see my intro post in the relevant forum), but when I was working out how to use my refractor and EQ1 the obvious solution to my n00b's brain seemed to be to loosen the star diagonal and spin it around to a comfortable position. Is there a reason I shouldn't do that?

James

Does this depend on what sort of scope you have (ie you need to do it for a Newtonian)?

I've not exactly had a lot of opportunity to look at things through mine (see my intro post in the relevant forum), but when I was working out how to use my refractor and EQ1 the obvious solution to my n00b's brain seemed to be to loosen the star diagonal and spin it around to a comfortable position. Is there a reason I shouldn't do that?

James

Yes, that's right, its a problem with a newtonian rather than a refractor. With a refractor you can just change the orientation of the star diagonal :D One thing to watch though is that on some star diagonals the nose-piece can unscrew, so make sure you're spinning the whole diagonal and not just unthreading it (can you tell this is the bitter voice of experience talking :icon_eek:)

Helen

Yes - Refractors don't need the "tube rotation" just rotate the diagonal!

Some refractors have the whole focussing mount assembly able to rotate - usually so you can rotate an attached camera to "frame" your target properly (as you would not normally use a diagonal and camera).

Also with a refractor ensure that you have tightened the retaining screw for the eyepiece before making any big movements. For some reason I hadn't tightened it the other night and my favourite E.P. met with Mr Patio. Thankfully it was absolutely fine, not a scratch. I wont be doing that again!

A follow-on question which is related about equatorial mounts, never really got used to using the equatorial on mount on my cheap scope just point it in the general direction, but since its cloudy and i've got the telescope set-up indoors.

How do i use the readings from Stellarium to line my scope in the general direction for viewing, for example Rigel currently is RA 5h 14 DA -8' 12.

On my scope when i've lined upto Polaris, the RA setting is on zero and my DEC Setting circle is on 9. I assume that i rotate the RA setting circle to just pass 5 (as it has two sets of number going from 0 to 23 in each direction). The DEC setting circle goes from 9-0-9 in each direction.

Archived