Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

MAK vs SCT

Steve,

I chose them for several reasons, mainly because I'm old school and feel you get better service from a shop / dealer when you visit in person. They can demo the item and answer any questions, and I can compare my intended purchase with other models.

They are approx 24 mile away, so if I have any problems and need to return the scope within its warranty period I can do so simply without incurring expensive couriers. They also price matched very close to that of FLO (and others) price, so buying local didn't mean paying hugely over that of retailers who are purely web based (not saying FLO are - I don't know).

Steve, after some of the comments here I too am still dithering...some say the scope is fine for my level of use, others say it's not the best scope... at the end of the day you could spend all your time comparing, confusing yourself and then not actually getting anything, but keep waiting for the next series to be released...

Malcolm

Yes my dithering keeps putting the price up as I find something better than the last one I looked at. My thinking was to start with the Nexstar 4SE and perhaps add a refractor for DSO later as it would be able to use the same mount (I think!).

Steve

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello Malc,

I dont mean this to be disrespectful but...

1) - The XLT coatings

2) - Comes with a wedge to provide smooth tracking, which is better for astrophotography - The 4se has this and neither will provide smooth tracking for astro photography, you will need a eq mount for this or pier mounted heavy duty wedge - But how I understand this is that the wedge supplied with the 5SE results in just the RA drive running thus maintaining smooth tracking - effectively turning the mount into an EQ rather than alt-azi

3) - Comes with the PC software for remote control of the scope where the 127 MAK has the port but software is an optional cost. i am sure you can download something for this true - but at least having the applications designed for that scope from the manufacture in theory it should work out of the box - plug and play

4) - Tube can be adjusted to compensate for weight of a DSLR camera all scopes with a dovetail can do this But looking at the MAK images the dovetail mount doesn't appear to extend like the 5SE - I can check this out on Saturday

5) - Build quality - sturdier tripod - This is true but not over the 4se (same tripod)

6) - Faster scope f10 so has a wider field of view

The 5" mak is a f11.8 1500 1.11 FOV vs a 5" SCT of F10 1300mm 1.28 FOV so its right... but its marginal maybe, but still a true statement :icon_eek:

If you really want to do astro photography then you are looking in the wrong place in my opinion, this is the wrong mount with the wrong scope. I would be interested in your suggestions. Something that has all the functionality of the 5SE and in the same price of less than £650

Its a good scope but will be a nightmare for photography for anything but planets/moon. It must be better than an old Tasco 4.5" reflector that I first used.. and that gave me some nice images of Orioin Nebula and Halley's commet in 1986. Thing is I live in a built up area... I don't intend to drive miles into the county for a really dark sky, so if DSO are ruled out then I'll be happy with planetary observing. It would be nice to see some of the fainter objects in its large database though

I hate to see you waste money on this and not get what you want from the scope but if a dealer has advised you that you can do all this then perhaps they are not so helpful

I was speaking to the importer of Celestron scopes, comparing the two models in question. I didn't give him my wish list and budget and see what they recommended maybe the sales guys at GreenWitch will advise me more when I ask the question when I visit them

Hey, your welcome to your opinion. I've responded to your points above and look forward to your suggestion as to what would be my ideal scope that ticks all the boxes and fits the budget.

Regards

Malcolm

Hello Malc sorry to be a bit blunt before

this thread is very similar to yours and worth a read

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/124981-6se-5se-worth.html

It is hard to find a scope which has the portability required with the visual and scope limitations within budget.

I personally would be looking at the second hand market, with the amount of use of astro gear in the uk the second hand gear hardly gets the use you would expect and normally sell for around 60% new price.

If you are insisting on getting someone new and are going to a showroom it might be worth looking at reflectors. a 150PDS on a eq5 goto fits your budget and will provide similar viewing quality and when it comes to imaging will be far superior mountings and tracking. it wont be as portable as it has counterweights and also for visual the tube can require twisting in the rings to move the eyepiece to a correct position. normally i would say get the heq5 syntrac or synscan with a scope but its out of budget new. if you did take up imaging you would be able to add guiding to this setup.

For pure visual any mak or sct on a az mount will be more suited but if you want a all rounder for visual and imaging a EQ mounted reflector will have the size, tracking and faster optics for imaging over the mak/sct

You would need a collimator, but then with the mak/sct you would require an additional dew shield. so should even itself out,

Hello Malc sorry to be a bit blunt before

No problem, blunt is fine, you weren't rude, and I equally am sorry if my comments were a bit harsh

this thread is very similar to yours and worth a read

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/124981-6se-5se-worth.html

It is hard to find a scope which has the portability required with the visual and scope limitations within budget.

I personally would be looking at the second hand market, with the amount of use of astro gear in the uk the second hand gear hardly gets the use you would expect and normally sell for around 60% new price.

If you are insisting on getting someone new and are going to a showroom it might be worth looking at reflectors. a 150PDS on a eq5 goto fits your budget and will provide similar viewing quality and when it comes to imaging will be far superior mountings and tracking. it wont be as portable as it has counterweights and also for visual the tube can require twisting in the rings to move the eyepiece to a correct position. normally i would say get the heq5 syntrac or synscan with a scope but its out of budget new. if you did take up imaging you would be able to add guiding to this setup.

For pure visual any mak or sct on a az mount will be more suited but if you want a all rounder for visual and imaging a EQ mounted reflector will have the size, tracking and faster optics for imaging over the mak/sct

You would need a collimator, but then with the mak/sct you would require an additional dew shield. so should even itself out,

OK, what's your comments on this:

newc6sgt.jpg

Celestron Advanced C6 S-GT

It's stretching my budget (probably have to do the extra £250 on credit card) but this appears to have the main features I want.

1) - The XLT coatings

2) - Smooth tracking EQ mount for astrophotography

3) - Remote control of the scope is possible - RS232 port ?

4) - Tube can be adjusted to compensate for weight of a DSLR camera

5) - Build quality - sturdier tripod

Down side is that it's not as portable, takes up more space when not in use, and doesn't come with PC software for control.

Comments please

That's a pretty portable setup IMO. The mount isn't overly heavy but using a long focal length scope like a 6" SCT, you might struggle to get decent tracking. The CG5 is a definate step down to the HEQ5/EQ6 in that respect, but it's absolutely fine for visual. A word of warning too, it's a very noisy mount in comparison to the HEQ5/EQ6 too!

Tony..

Regarding cooling time: the meniscus of many Maks is thicker than the corrector plate of an SCT, so I gathered Maks cool down (a bit) slower. Maks tend to be a bit heavier for the same reason. SCTs are a bit more all-round, Maks just a bit stronger on planets, as a rule of thumb. Having said that, much more depends on build quality, optical finish (accuracy of surfaces), and collimation than on the overall optical design. If you can, try to compare them yourself side by side.

Hello Malc,

where are you based out of interest?

i own this exact SCT and i find the coatings not really make much difference, other factors will make more of a difference. this scope is a good all rounder, quite small, light and decent optically.

You will probably need to invest in a F6.3 focal reducer for the SCT also which could add another £100.

I have heard that the Celestron and meade EQ's at this size are louder than the skywatcher versions??

If you really want a sct then by all means you should go with your heart and love the scope you buy, it will cost that bit extra.

Hello Malc,

where are you based out of interest?

I live in Stevenage, North Hertfordshire.

You guys must be rich to be able to compare the noise levels of the drives for different scopes :icon_eek: - or be lucky enough to work with them.

Unless it's really loud - I'm not that bothered, so long as they are reliable (I've heard so many stories of Mead drives packing up).

other factors will make more of a difference. this scope is a good all rounder, quite small, light and decent optically.

Could you elaborate on these factors. Personally I'm erring towards the C6 -S-GT scope as I feel that there is less chance of needing to PX it against something else in the future. If I opted for the 5SE and found that if failed to produce good images via CCD camera when I get too fed up at freezing my ***s off at the eyepiece I'll end up loosing money and may not be in a position to upgrade. Based on the advice here, I'm assuming the C6-SGT drive and alignment will give better tracking when it comes to imaging than the SE 5. And will perform better for both planetary and bright deepsky objects ?

factors such as collimation, cooldown, dew control and for imaging focal ratio.

If in your position i would still be going for a eq5 or heq5 with a 150pds or similar, means u don't need to spend even more trying to make the sct more suitable.

HEQ5 will give you the ability to change scope without changing the mount or adding a second scope to the rig etc

The advice to second hand is top notch,

I often meet up with the St neots astro group, about 40 mins away for you, feel free to come down and take a look at the Nexstar mount and C6, some others have ed refractors and eq mounts so could give u a good idea of the size/quality of these scopes

I'm erring towards a Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT MAK Telescope as this seems to fit the bill, offering 127mm aperture, goto and NSOL control. However for another £300 there is the Celestron NexStar 5 SE. The only difference I can see is that the NexStar SE is a Schmidt-Cassegrain so is this worth the extra £300. I'm not a serious amateur astronomer, and living in Stevenage don't have ready access to really dark skys, so would any performance the SE offers (presuming the optics are better hence the cost) be worth the added invetsment ?

I've done a bit of searching for similar scopes, - (comparing the Nexstar 127 MAK to the Skywatcher version, but ruled that out as it appeared to lack the PC connectivity and people seem to say the cord tangles), but each time come back to the same two scopes.

I would welcome comments, and any suggestions as to where to purchased these from. I've been scouring the net and the prices vary wildly. David Hinds and Green-witch scopes are near to me, but David Hinds site has been off line for days.

Thanks

Malcolm

I don't think this has been covered in the thread so far but i would test the SLT127 first. I have had the pleasure (perhaps wouldn't call it that) of using the SLT127 and personally i was less than impressed. The scope is brill and when we took it off the completely inadequate SLT mount and put it on an EQ5, it strut it stuff. Can't really fault the scope. But that mount is less than impressive and with the 127 on board is already at or past it's workable limts.

From what i've read the Skywatcher mount is more robust than the toy SLT mount but still not rigid.

This is why you pay the extra for the SE mount.

Russ, thanks for the comments. Looking at the SkyWatcher 150PDS on a EQ5 PRO Go-To Equatorial Mount, the average price new is £650 - £680, which is around £200 cheaper than the C6-SGT. - That's some saving, Just hope that GreenWitch stock that :icon_eek:

One thing I've learned through these posts is that when you appear to of settled on a desired scope, along comes someone else with a suggestion for something else.... :D

Russ, I see by your signature you have the dual drive EQ5 mount. Does this come with a polar align scope, and can the skyscan unit be connected to a PC so it can be controlled from a PC?

Guys, I would like to sorta take a vote... assuming the Explorer 150PDS on an EQ-5 goto mount connects to a PC, and given my comments about viewing and imaging, which would be the most suitable scope between that and the Celestron C6-SGT shown above or the 150PDS shown below

image.ASP?type=M&prod_id=PON10C000011

Thanks

Malcolm

f

I often meet up with the St neots astro group, about 40 mins away for you, feel free to come down and take a look at the Nexstar mount and C6, some others have ed refractors and eq mounts so could give u a good idea of the size/quality of these scopes

Thanks for the invite, might just take you up on that offer. I've been a member of the Letchworth & District AS (honorary membership for services rendered in getting their observatory project off the ground) for the past 25 years. I founded the Welwyn & Hatfield group in 1984, which then merged with the North Herts AA to form the Sevenage & Disrtict AS around 6 months later. This was reformed into the LDAS a year later as a condition of siting the observatory at Standalone Farm. I dropped out of meetings after serving on the committee for around 8 years, as my interests changed and the kids came along. Now, having had a few devastating family events over the past couple of months I've realized life is too short and you should follow your heart and do the things your want to do.. for me this includes getting a new scope and enjoying the wonders of the night sky....

Sorry for waxing lyrical.... must be the beers :icon_eek:

Russ, thanks for the comments. Looking at the SkyWatcher 150PDS on a EQ5 PRO Go-To Equatorial Mount, the average price new is £650 - £680, which is around £200 cheaper than the C6-SGT. - That's some saving, Just hope that GreenWitch stock that :icon_eek:

One thing I've learned through these posts is that when you appear to of settled on a desired scope, along comes someone else with a suggestion for something else.... :D

Russ, I see by your signature you have the dual drive EQ5 mount. Does this come with a polar align scope, and can the skyscan unit be connected to a PC so it can be controlled from a PC?

Guys, I would like to sorta take a vote... assuming the Explorer 150PDS on an EQ-5 goto mount connects to a PC, and given my comments about viewing and imaging, which would be the most suitable scope between that and the Celestron C6-SGT shown above or the 150PDS shown below

image.ASP?type=M&prod_id=PON10C000011

Thanks

Malcolm

EQ5 Pro connects to the PC no problems. The drives are also superior to the drives on the CG5 and the EQ5 has more features. But the CG5 Goto is more user friendly.

Not may "votes" then :icon_eek:

I've just spoken to Green-Witch and it seems that they don't carry the C6-SGT in stock, and I haven't asked about the 150PDS on a G5 !

Has anyone visited the showroom since they moved

Ok I've taken the plunge and jumped in with both feet :)

I've just got back from spending a couple of hours talking to Neill at Green-Witch scopes and now my wallet is a lot lighter :D

They had a NexStar 6 in stock and an Explorer 200 on a G5 mount (plus half a dozen other scopes). This allowed me to compare the size of the OTA of the C6 and get an idea how big/small it is. I also have a storage issue to compare, and even though the Explorer 200 worked out cheaper I would have problems storing the scope when not in use. I've therefore opted for the C6 -SGT

newc6sgt.jpg

They didn't have this in stock, so will have to order one for me which hopefully should be delivered to me on Tuesday all being well.

But it didn't end there... I also purchased the Nextimage web cam and a set of Revolution eyepieces in a flight case, the case contains: 9mm Plossl, 12mm Plossl, 15mm Plossl, 20mm Plossl, a 32mm Plossl which also has an attachment for doing eyepiece projection with a camera. A 2x barlow lens and set of filters. All multi-coated) - so this should see me alright for some time :o

Whilst I negotiated a good deal on the scope, the added extras brought the final damaged to around £500 over my initial budget !!

So that's it... if we don't get a clear dark night now for the next 6 months its my fault !

nice scope, much better package than the se in my opinon, clear skies sir

Thank you.

One thing I did notice with the SE was the noise the drives made.. it was quite loud, where as the EQ drive almost played a tune as the drive spooled up and down and was very quiet by comparison.

The C6-SGT also offers so much potential, and can to a degree be upgraded at a future stage if I so wished (better camera, and the mount supports an 8" OTA) -

Thanks to everyone for their input - it was apreciated

Malcolm

nice scope, much better package than the se in my opinon, clear skies sir

Better for what you want for sure, if imaging wasn't a concern then the SE mount would be the better option :) you will see what i mean when you try to look through the finder at a low star in the north west :D for alignment

the finder is a bit pants imo, i have been looking for a replacement

I'm really gutted... I contacted David Hinds this morning to see if they had a C6-SGT in stock as Green Witch stated that they would be placing an order for one to be delivered direct to me for Tuseday. Yes you guessed it, they are out of stock, and the shipment isn't expected until End of February beginning of March :)

I checked with a couple of other retailers (one of which was offering the scope for the same price) and they too are out of stock, so it seems the C6-SGT is a popular scope. Hinds are also out of stock of the C8-SGT so upgrading was also out of the question.

Looks like I've got a long wait.....

Malcolm

Archived