Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Quick and dirty M31 from last night

ashworthacca

5342412211_77962bfd45_z.jpg

M31 Andromeda Galaxy by ashworthacca, on Flickr

Messier 31 Andromerda Galaxy taken with Modified Canon 1000d attached to a Orion ED80 on a HEQ5 EQMod controlled mount. Guided with QHY5 on a ST80 piggybacked on the Orion.

Exposure were controlled using AstroPhotographyTool, stacking done with DSS and processing carried out using PixInsight 1.6

The site was my back garden in Barnsley and the total exposures were

Lights 6x600secs, 10x300secs, 20x120secs and 15x60secs

Darks 10x600secs, 10x300secs, 10x120secs and 10x60secs

Flats 20

No bias.

This is just a quick process job to see what data I captured. I'll be starting from scratch and stacking and processing in full using solely PixInsight and take a little more care to extract as much detail as possible.......hopefully.:)

Thanks for looking

What's happened here then:icon_scratch: Restacked this in Nebulosity V2 instead of DSS while I'm waiting for some info on stacking in Pixinsight.

Processed it a little in Pix and then noticed that M31 is a different way round to my original one??? How did that happen?

5346017105_3aeb6e1ee6_z.jpg

M31 Andromeda Galaxy by ashworthacca, on Flickr

Bow that's nice - subtle but crisp. WRT the inversion, did you use FITS Liberator to import the data?

Thanks Steve.

No I didn't use FITS liberator....... but my brain has gone blank and my laptop is at the office so I can't check until tomorrow.:)

I think I just opened up the raw files in Nebulosity and also DSS and didn't touch any FITS. (although I did do a format conversion from RAW to FITS in Pixinisight but I'm sure I didn't use those files)

The images are just horizontally flipped (as opposed to rotated). Maybe there is a button somewhere that you have accidentally clicked? Or is there an option somewhere to correct for image flip with Newtonian telescopes?

The images are just horizontally flipped (as opposed to rotated). Maybe there is a button somewhere that you have accidentally clicked? Or is there an option somewhere to correct for image flip with Newtonian telescopes?

That must be it.....I wonder if I did use the FITS files that I converted from the original RAW files?

I'll have a look at the conversion process to see if any of the settings looks like it could be the culprit.

:)

Archived