Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Big Finder (80mm vs 50mm)

Having reasonably satisfied my aperture fever for my main scope, I am now getting an urge to get a bigger finder scope....

I have a 9x50 which is pretty good, but I have my eye on a 12x80 (this to be exact 12x80 Winkelsucher - Aufrecht/Seitenrichtig - beleuchtbar - 1,25 ).

Anyone use one or a similar sized finder?

I am a little worried about seeing too much as the 50mm finder I use currently is pretty well matched with the charts I use and with more light grasp it may become confusing.

Would a cheaper, small refactor do the job?

Will this hobby ever finish expanding :) .

Cheers,

Karl.

I've been considering this too but i couldn't even contemplate one of those 80mm finders. Been thinking of picking up a cheap, lightweight refractor and using that as a finder. There were some 80mm finder brackets in the Astroboot and will hopefully be again when it returns.

Just wondering if one of the cheap 70mm short tube refractors would do the job.

A bigger finder will show more, and a lot of DSOs will be visible too.

It could cause a balance problem, but that can be sorted.

Some use the tube from a broken ETX 70, to give a right angled finder,

I've seen the tubes going for £20 at Kelling.

Regards, Ed.

I use a 16x70 finder built from a small cheap refractor details over here

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/123929-16x70mm-finder-prostar-22mm-erfle-illuminated-cross-hair.html

I really love the fact that I can see many more DSOs in the finder. I currently use the old 6x30 finder to get the general area (sometimes) and then zoom in on the right region with the big finder. It helped me get a number of (tricky) DSOs: M74, M78, M97, M103, M108, and verifying the position afterwards.

Hmm the 80mm finder would depend on it's focal length which would then give you your brightness (from my understanding).

For example my little Vixen A80Mf is 920mm focal length (f11.4). This is what I'll use for a guide scope when I move to a larger SCT. As the a80mf isn't as bright as a smaller 80mm I figured that the guide camera could get a better contrast. Although for high mag imaging I suspect you want a larger set of prospective stars to guide by.

Dont forget so e of these options van afd a lot of weight ans maybe push the scope weight over the mount limit. I have a stellarvue f50 and while its nly 50mm its a LOT heavier than a standard 50mm finder

Good point. I did have to add a heavier counterweight to the mount, but the balance is fine, and the mount can handle it easily. If you build your own like me, use a cheap 45 deg erecting prism to get a image at a correct orientation AND comfortable viewing angle. This makes finding things a lot easier.

I have used my ST80 as a 24x80 finder in the past... Use the red dot to get it roughly right, the ST80 to centre on the target and away I went with the C80ED... I did see that TS "finder" and wondered if it wouldn't make a great guide scope...

You can make a cracking 80mm finder out of old/broken/unused binoculars. I made a couple out of an old Russian pair(great objectives but poor eyelenses) I had.

The difference between it and a 50mm, is considerable. Objects literally jump out at you.

3755308036_df5cbe3949.jpg

Just something to bear in mind should you ever come across damaged bincs, on flea bay etc.

Andy.

Yes Michael, I've been close to buying some good quality but broken bincs a few times too. As you say, very tempting, but reality soon sets in. I seem to have built up a collection of finders, so any more would be mad.

To anyone considering trying something like this, you just need to get a centre block machined. Pretty inexpensive. 'Raysringsandthings' did a couple for me.

Andy.

When I started up with my 16" Lightbridge, I felt an immediate need for a bigger finder. I found this one:

Robtics | Robtics 80 mm hoekzoeker 90 graden

It is a lightweight 80mm finder, with nice sharp image and illuminated crosshairs + finder bracket. I would never go back, one of my favorite finders ever since :).

cheers,

Janos

I pondered that one as well, but then I built my own (as I had most parts anyway). The Robtics one may well be better, but I had a lot of fun building mine. I did get the mounting bracket from Robtics, rather than machining stuff myself.

Nice to hear the finder is good. Once you have a big finder, there is just no going back, isn't there?

I pondered that one as well, but then I built my own (as I had most parts anyway). The Robtics one may well be better, but I had a lot of fun building mine. I did get the mounting bracket from Robtics, rather than machining stuff myself.

Nice to hear the finder is good. Once you have a big finder, there is just no going back, isn't there?

That's more than true ! When I was in south France last september I could see almost all targets in this finder, maybe except the Stefans's quintett :).

Archived