Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help with ep choice would be greatly appreciated

After reading Lurkers thread discussing everyones favourite eps, it got me thinking that I could do with a new one.

Currently I'm using the stock 25mm ep that came with my nexstar 6se and a Tal X2 barlow.

Now I know in terms of quality I could do with eventually replacing the 25mm but right now I feel I would benefit more from buying a differnet one and having a varity of focal lengths

I am thinking of maybe a wide angle field 10mm, since when used with the barlow it would take this ep to the limit of the scope at 5mm.

I have less than £100 to spend but obviously I'd prefer the best possible ep with the most change in my pocket

Any thoughts / opinions would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks, Steve

A 6SE isn't going to work well with a 5mm eyepiece, 10mm+barlow, too small for it, and 300x is considered well outside of what is achievable here in the UK.

Probably fine with a 10mm and no barlow, giving 150x.

Maybe a 15mm WO SWAN or Antares W70 would work with a barlow. That would however leave nothing in the 10-12mm range which I think would be more useful.

Could have a look at the planetary EP's from Modern Astronomy, think they are £36 a piece, get 2 or 3 and forget the barlow. Think I read a post on SGL yesterday about how good the 6mm was.

A 15mm eyepiece would make a lot of sense. You have a good barlow, so that and the 15mm will give you a good planetary magnification of 200x. Although of late, even 200x has proved too much for the UK skies.

The 18mm BST (Paradigm) that Cotterles recommends is an excellent eyepiece and barlows to a power usable almost any night of the year.

The TV Plossl would be awesome though for £65 and the 20mm barlowed will give 150x.

Archived