Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My christmas present - a new tripod!

mdstuart

Had a great but cold time last night out with the Christmas present. A Manfrotto 055XDB monster tripod...and a joystick head 222 which feels like a solid steel lump!

Well the tripod is massive. Great fixings and very solid...170cm when extended. More than enough to look at any angle with the binos.

I had reservations on whether the head would hold the 2.7kg 20 x 80mm binos as its rated at 2.5kg. Well it did not seem to have an issue at any angle even pretty much overhead. I did not have the tension very high either. :hello2:

What I did find was you have to grip quite hard to keep the joystick fluid. So you work out what you are going to point at, grip the joystick and then find the object quickly before your hand starts to ache..:)

So pretty good but I am still unsure about the 222. Maybe a higher rated traditional alt az head might be better..? Would love others experience with other head son tripods.

I went for double stars and logged about 10. My favs were struve 747 below the Orion Neb and 32 Cam which is near the pole star and has a seperation of 22". Also looked again at M35/36/37/38/42/78/45..Managed M1 so not bad despite the reflections of lights from the snow.:p

Also found NGC2403 a galaxy in between the Plough and Gemini. In fact this galaxy seems better in the bins than the 10 inch scope.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Manfrotto 234 for my Giotto monopod, it's a simple affair but it works just fine, no problems with it.. The head takes 2.5kg, my binos weighs under 1kg, they're Nikon 10-22x50.. If I get any heavier binos might look into the 222. Seen other joystick heads on Amazon for cheaper and better specs.. weight load wise..

Here's to clear skies...

I use this head,you can either have it in the position shown or vertical with the attatchment on the end like a joystick.

I've had my Merlin Mount and camera on it which weigh about 3 kg and it hasnt slipped with me yet.Solid ,easy to use and never had a problem with it.

Manfrotto 322RC2 Horizontal Grip Action Ball Head (MN322RC2) - Warehouse Express

Thanks Mark. I was out with it last night.

No slippage yet with my 2.7kg 80mm binos. I have even got the tension at the minimum so I guess the 2.5kg limit is just the manufacturer being careful and risk averse.

I do plan to make SGL6 with the bions and tripod...

Also just bought celestial sample tours by Sue French which seems a great read and includes loads of objects the binoculars can excel at..

Hope you had a good Christmas.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Pleides, thats interesting, basically the same idea but the locking from the ball head. Sounds perfect...not available in the UK though?

I was out last night and I am getting the hang of the joystick now. It holds the binoculars well which wiegh 2.7kg..

Mark

Thanks Pleides, thats interesting, basically the same idea but the locking from the ball head. Sounds perfect...not available in the UK though?

I was out last night and I am getting the hang of the joystick now. It holds the binoculars well which wiegh 2.7kg..

Mark

Basically the same idea but more steady because can supports more weight.

I also have a "triton grip". Very good, but I use it with my 10.5X70mm. For use with 22X85 doesn't recommended. Ball can't tight well. From 60 deg to zenith binoculars slipping slowly.

Interesting thread here. I have just bought the Helios Quantum 4 bins with tripod/head combo. I am not sure this head is ideal, a bit like Mark I wonder if I should change it. I don't really like the way the pan bar sticks out, its not really in the way but wonder if there's an alternative. :)

Alan

The main problem with the joystick head has already been mentioned - fatigue. Also there is that annoying need to squeeze the trigger each time just to move small amounts (my experience is with camera equipment rather than astro). My preference is for a substantial two-way head, such as the Manfrotto 128 or the bigger 501. With these it is possible to set the friction on the horizontal and vertical movements such that once the optics are positioned you can let go and the optics don't move, but can still be nudged gently. I find this ideal when using my birding scope, especially for digiscoping.

Having said that the joystick does mean that the binoculars are away from the tripod at angles so you are able to stand a little way back from the tripod...

Well I am happy for now with my joystick set up. Perhaps I will do some hand excercises to reduce fatigue!

Mark

The main problem with the joystick head has already been mentioned - fatigue. Also there is that annoying need to squeeze the trigger each time just to move small amounts (my experience is with camera equipment rather than astro). My preference is for a substantial two-way head, such as the Manfrotto 128 or the bigger 501. With these it is possible to set the friction on the horizontal and vertical movements such that once the optics are positioned you can let go and the optics don't move, but can still be nudged gently. I find this ideal when using my birding scope, especially for digiscoping.

Thanks for that Richard, I have noticed they can be moved very precisely, so I guess I should keep my 501HDV.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Mark. :)

Alan

Thats fine. There is not as much out there on the choice of head for mounting binoculars as one might think. IF you go to SGL6 we could compare the joystick to a fluid head..

Mark

Would love to make it to SGL6 but won't be able to, I look forward to all the reports when its all over. :)

Alan

Archived