Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

hey every one just joined the forum

CUBAN

sorry to start with a down beat post but about a month a go i bought my very first scope

a skywatcher 127 mak the day it arrived i set it up ready for that night which was cloud less and graced with a crescent moon as soon as i focused on the lunar surface i was stunned by the detail and sharpness of the view and thought the cost of the scope well spent on that veiw alone also i managed to see mars but with very little detail but still

i found it very exciting to see another planet for the first time

so far so good a great first night and i went to bed dreaming of all the objects to find and see

2nd night about a week later agggggggggggg tryed seaching for galaxys etc after about

2 hours found quite by accindent a galaxy edge on but the image was very poor

after another hour or so i found andromada again the image was terrible

went to bed having nightmares about a fruitless seach for dsos in all weathers just to justify the cost of the scope to my wife

since then i have been out about 5 or 6 times and was dissappointed most times

i am useing 10 mm 25 mm eye pecies and have invested in a orphoscopic 25 mm and a

ultrawide 6 mm plus a sodium light pollution filter as i have a street light at the end of the garden which i have managed to screen off but there is still a glare from it

would adew cap help with light pollution?

any one who can help with tips or advice i would be most gratful as i am beginning to get

disheartend

regards cuban

Hi Cuban,

Welcome aboard; its good to see you dive straight in with a question; we're a friendly lot here and we like questions. 

First, don't worry.  You have bought an excellent telescope capable of stunning high contrast images.  Consider: There is no such thing as a general-purpose telescope, regardless of what they said at the shop.  In reality, they all have strengths and weaknesses that make them more or less suitable for different objects.  

Maksutov Catodioptrics, such as the one you own, have excellent power and contrast which is just what is needed for lunar and planetary observation.  They also excel at splitting double-stars and resolving detail in globular and open clusters.  You should also be able to clearly make out the brighter nebulas such as the Ring, Dumbell and Orion nebula.  

Galaxies require a different approach: Because they are very faint they need a telescope with a large aperture; generally you need something with at least an 8" and preferably a 10 or 12" before galaxies stop looking like grey smudges and start to show shape and detail.  You also need a dark-sky location as any light pollution (sometimes called skyglow) will make them difficult to view.  

A dew cap is essential for any catodioptric as the front correction lens is a magnet for dew.  It will not help with light pollution other than to shield the front lens from streetlights etc.  

Which filter did you buy?

Show your wife the moon (from about the latter part of next week would be good) Mars, Pleiades, Double Cluster and Ring nebula (they are all best viewed when there is no moon) and she will be impressed with your purchase.  There are of course many other objects equally as impressive but the ones listed are good for starters.  

Personally, considering the problem you have with light pollution, I think you bought the right scope because the objects it excels at are the very objects that are less effected by light pollution. 

The Orthoscopic was a good choice but you might want to consider upgrading the two eyepieces supplied.  Which 6mm Ultrawide did you buy?  You might find the following thread useful (in amongst the chit-chat there is some good advice):

http://tinyurl.com/bksfk

Others in the group own, or have owned, the Skywatcher 127 and will no doubt be pleased to advise.  

Hope that helps,

Steve :)

Hello Cuban,

[move][glow=red,2,300]Welcome to the forum![/glow][/move]

I have the same scope as you and i have to say you made a great choice with the 127 Mak. Your views will improve over time of the Dso's as you get used to viewing through a Telescope this trains the eye to those subtle details esp in Dso's but also in Planets. I would reccomend getting a 2xBarlow lens (Celestron Ultima) for around 60 quid this will in effect double the amount of eyepieces you have and give you greater views of the Planets and Moon.

A dew shield as Steve has said is a Must for these types of scopes because after a whort while that dew/Mist will form over your scopes lens.

Not much more to add to Steve's good answer so i will just end with welcome to the forum and please do ask about anything your not sure about.

James :)

Hey Cuban

Don't get too downbeat. Getting used to looking through a scope takes some getting used to (if you see what I mean!).

Ask plenty of questions, you will get plenty of answers!!

And take your time - the stars ain't going anywhere :)

Archived