Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Maxing out a HEQ5? How much is too much? (KGs?)

Hi All

I'm planning my imaging setup and am worried about being on the limit of my HEQ5.

I know the max weight is 18kg, my planned setup will come in almost on the dot. Is this a problem? Has anyone had experience with a maxed out mount either a HEQ5 or similar?

The setup will be:

150P - 4.9kg

ST80 - 1.5kg

1000D - 0.5kg

QHY5 - 0.15kg(?)

Misc (rings, t mounts etc) - 1.0kg

counter weights - 10.2kg

total: 18.25kg-ish

So, first though is to reduce the counter weights as i should only need around 8kgs for the equipment, but as the standard weights are 2x 5.1kg this would mean finding on smaller weight which i'm guessing is completely possible - or is there some consideration in this that i am missing? This would mean i am under by about 2kg

If i did this, then i could use a 102 T for the guidescope, which i think is a better option (+1kg) so this would mean i am under by 1kg or so.

Am i on the right track or are there other options besides buying a higher capacity mount?

Many thanks!

From all I've read for visual observing you can push the weight up towards the recommended limit but for imaging you should be aiming for nearer 50% of the mount capacity.

I run a similar setup with a Canon 600mm prime lens on a HEQ6 Pro mount and it works very smoothly

You don't include the counterweights when adding togther your payload so you can take them off. Lets say all in you'll be looking at around 8.5 - 9kg, it's do-able but I think you'll be more affected by things like wind than if you had a bigger mount. One thing you might want to look into is better quality dovetails like the ones made by ADM for example, having your gear bolted together as rigid as possible will potentially save you a whole world of trouble.

Tony..

I know the max weight is 18kg, my planned setup will come in almost on the dot. Is this a problem?

Way too much for imaging IMHO. May depend on whether you have a domed observatory (scope shielded from wid gusts), an open site (no shielding) or a roll off roof type (partial shielding).

No mount is ever too solid. At 18 Kg I'd definitely reccomend an EQ6 even for visual work, anything over that I'd be looking at Losmandy Titan / AP 1200 / Paramount ME.

don't remember the max weight capacity of the heq5 pro but when i started astrophotopgraphy i used my 200 f/6 newt along with a 70/500 as guidescope along with homemade aluminum guide rings and used a qhy-5 and an atik 16 ic camera. from what i learned it was near its capacity limit and i have now ended up at my primary imaging scope, 200 f/6 newt and to reduce the weight i now use the 9x50 finder as guidescope mounted at the mounting rings of the scope. i also extended the counterweight bar so i use only the two 5 kgs counterweights the mount has. after servicing my mount i have achieved 15 min guiding with my current setup and i am trying to pass the 20 mins

I used to have a 8" Newt and associated imaging gear on a HEQ5 and it was certainly pushing the limits - I upgraded to a EQ6 and it made a huge difference. I don't think it's as black and white to say a setup is too heavy (unless it's over the specified limits for the mount) as many other factors come into play. Generally though you try to have the imaging setup well under the limits of the mount. As you can tell from the examples above a few folks have had very good results from quite heavy setups. I say give it a go and see what works for you as long as you're not going over the limits you're not going to break anything - plus taking off the counterweights (in the calculation, not physically) puts you well within the optimum range.:)

Archived