Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Beginner's Blues?

storebror

Well, we've had the first really clear night here since I got my Skywatcher and I've just spent two lovely hours outside. Lovely views of the moon, but here's my question.

I'm beginning to learn quite a few constalltions by sight and can find them ok with my naked eyes but I'm having real problems finding specific stars in the scope and I think I'm making the 'newbie' mistake of just scanning the sky with the scope and not knowing what I'm looking at. Is this just a matter of practice? I've been using my planisphere like a good boy but I just don't seem to be able to find my 'targets' Any advice greatly appreciated :D

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

definitely go for a RDF as gordon says. There's a nice selection on Scopes 'n' Skies (10% discount). The bresser one is only £9, and won't be that bad! I find them very easy to use. Probably much more so than a magnifying finder. If you're looking for things you really can't see with your naked eye, you'd probably be better off using a 8x50 or something

If you've already got one, get it properly aligned. In daylight, or try and use an obvious star like betelgeuse (the orange one, top left in Orion.

Sorry, I'm finished now....

Andrew

Well, we've had the first really clear night here since I got my Skywatcher and I've just spent two lovely hours outside. Lovely views of the moon, but here's my question.

I'm beginning to learn quite a few constalltions by sight and can find them ok with my naked eyes but I'm having real problems finding specific stars in the scope and I think I'm making the 'newbie' mistake of just scanning the sky with the scope and not knowing what I'm looking at. Is this just a matter of practice? I've been using my planisphere like a good boy but I just don't seem to be able to find my 'targets' Any advice greatly appreciated :D

Great idea to shoot the moon first. It's easy to find and very visually pleasing. You don't need to stand about in the dark for ages either.

As to the finding stuff, you need a finder, as has been pointed out.

Sounds like you had a lot of fun and learnt something else. Great stuff.

Captain Chaos

A thing to point out that when you are aligning a finder (whether optical or red-dot) don't think that "close" is good enough. You need to a star centred in the finder and in the scope using a medium/ high powered eyepiece. Otherwise if the finder only looks like it's slightly off centre it translates to a big difference when using the scope high magnification and theres every chance you'll miss the object you are looking for.

I'm beginning to learn quite a few constalltions by sight and can find them ok with my naked eyes but I'm having real problems finding specific stars in the scope and I think I'm making the 'newbie' mistake of just scanning the sky with the scope and not knowing what I'm looking at. Is this just a matter of practice? I've been using my planisphere like a good boy but I just don't seem to be able to find my 'targets' Any advice greatly appreciated

Ok...First things first,

There is nothing wrong with scanning around the sky just looking at stuff...I do it all the time. As for knowing specific stars or areas of the sky ..That will come with time.

Concentrate on one constellation at a time..This will give you time to appreciate it and learn it...I spent several nights looking at and learning Cygnus, then Cassiopea....Then Orion etc, etc......

Be patient, enjoy your scope marvel at the wonder of the views your Newtonian will give you....

Will second the use of the Telrad I have found this invaluable and easy to use.

Another tool that has helped me no end is the software Starry Nights 4.5 (newer versions now available) great piece of software that helps you get to know the night sky when those clouds roll in :D or if you have a laptop take it outside with you!

Cheers

Alan

I've only been on this forum for a few weeks and I'm constantly amazed at how much trouble people take on this forum to answer people's questions - thanks all!

I was lucky enough to be given a free copy of Starry Nights by Arthur (Ambermile) and I'm just getting used to the software - and very impressive it is too!

I'd second the idea of picking a constellation and then learning to explore it. I'm probably just a little ahead of you on the learning curve. Just over the point of just looking, now wanting to see more - and as importantly know what I'm seeing! Last time out (about 3 weeks ago, the weather is AWFUL here) I explored Auriga and looked for the three Messier objects there. Used Starry Night, and Turn Left at Orion (great book if you haven't got it). Found each of them, then looked long at each of them, then went back 3 times just to prove I could find them easily again. and even got myself to write it all down afterwards. I had a great time!

Next time I think I'll go back to Auriga before moving to another constellation.

Helen

another handy p[iece of kit is a compass.. I know it sounds daft but knowing which direction your looking in will enable you to set starry night up so that its looking in that direction as well thus you can refer to it and look outside to see what you have seen on the screen. Ive been using a compass for ages but now have got to the point where I know what direction Im looking in from my place so can just go to the computer and check something in an instant, then back out for more looking.

I would also enjoy just scanning, some nights I do it just to enjoy the different colours of stars that I see if nothing else and its led to some nice suprises at times.

• 4 months later...

Dear "Gizmo" I,ve just been on the start chart web site you recommended to Paul some time ago, and it is a really gret site! you just tap in your latitude and longitude coordinates (you can get them from most altlases) and press "update" and it gives you the sky directly above where you live - fantastic!

Philsail1

Sykywatcher Explorer 200 on HEQ5 mount. Skywatcher 80T short tube refractor on Velbon Tripod. Meade 10x50 binoculars (Lidl supermarket! - great!!)

There are loads of places to download sky maps for the current month on the web for practice in identifying constellations

This is one:

http://www-star.st-and.ac.uk/%7Efv/sky/

I have a Telrad finder and cannot recommend it enough! The finder and a few freely downloadable charts and deep sky objects are soooooo easy to find!

Cheers

Paul

Just a hint I found useful for learning the constellations- i found going out in the twilight helpful- or a murkier day- as usually in most constellations the brighter stars stand out more- mind you that was when i was younger and didn`t need specs to see anything!

For those of us who have finderscopes as opposed to telrad. A finderscope can be used as a telrad by using the 'both eyes open' method. By having one eye looking out past the findercsope in to the sky and the other looking through the finderscope, your brain see's the night sky, the crosshairs AND the magnified sky all in the same view. It's a fantasic way of finding objects. I find I can visually centre the naked eye object with the crosshairs seen in the other eye. The object then magically comes in to view in the finderscope.

Matt

Archived