Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Recomend eyepiece

kevin321

Hi Kevin,

you could try the Baader Genuine Ortho range. See FLO'S website at the top of the page. A lot of people on the forum give them good reviews.:)

Alan

Kevin I have the same scope and after much research, mostly on this forum, I went for the BGO 6mm. Cannot tell you how it performs as they won't let me have it until Xmas.

I believe the only issue with them is the exit pupil is quite small which might be a problem if you wear glasses.

I have a 13mm Ethos and a 12.5mm Baader GO and the BGO is the one I use for Jupiter most currently. I have more power but the seeing has been awful recently. optically it's as good if not better on Jupiter than the Ethos. it gives a slightly 'whiter' view and of course with a 40 degree field you have to nudge the scope more often. my scope is a manual 1600mm focal length dob and this gives 128x.

in a 1200mm scope 6mm would be a good choice and will be excellent on the moon always and generally for planets / doubles when the seeing is good. 200x is often achievable but not recently (with sharp detail) for me. I do live on a housing estate though so winter heating won't help.

6mm is quite tight on eye relief too (about 5mm) the 7mm is a little better on ER (I have this one - 6mm) and would give 171x in your scope which I would suggest is going to be more usable more often. the 9mm (ER 7.6mm) would give 133x and would be almost always usable but with a smaller, sharper disk. These are about £70 new from FLO. none of these are good if you wear glasses to observe.

if you do, consider the TMB Planetary range. you could get two for under £100. Skies the Limit on Ebay sell lots of these.

I use a WO SPL 6mm with my 200 which is rather excellent on planets and DSOs.

That would be my suggestion as well, particularly if the scope is a dobsonian when you will find the extra field of view and eye relief helpful.

If the scope is on a driven EQ mount then the Baader Genuine Ortho's are the best there is for under £100.

That would be my suggestion as well, particularly if the scope is a dobsonian when you will find the extra field of view and eye relief helpful.

If the scope is on a driven EQ mount then the Baader Genuine Ortho's are the best there is for under £100.

True, but not for people with glasses! I HATED my ortho 5mm for its terrible eye relief. My degree of astigmatism meant I cannot go without glasses behind the scope (even at small exit pupil). I got some Vixen LVs for that reason, and have recently replaced them by a TV Radian. By all accounts the TMB and WO planetary EPs are very good, AND have eye relief of 20mm like the Radian and LVs.

For me personally I find 7mm is the cut off for what i can tolerate in an Ortho. I just cannot use Orthos in the 3-5mm range. Prefer to barlow a lower powered Ortho, such as a 9mm to create the desired focal length. Some may argue this is wrong but if the barlow is off a high quality there is nothing too much lost in quality of view.

On the other hand, if i could afford it, i would prefer to have a quality wide field planetary eyepiece with good eye relief. A TV Radian or Pentax XF would be top of my list.

True, but not for people with glasses! I HATED my ortho 5mm for its terrible eye relief. My degree of astigmatism meant I cannot go without glasses behind the scope (even at small exit pupil). I got some Vixen LVs for that reason, and have recently replaced them by a TV Radian. By all accounts the TMB and WO planetary EPs are very good, AND have eye relief of 20mm like the Radian and LVs.

I don't wear glasses for observing but I'm still not keen on tight eye relief and narrow fields of view. I find I see more when my eye is relaxed and comfortable and Orthos, optically excellent though they are, just don't do it for me any more.

I agree totally with Russ with the 7mm cut-off although to be honest I have never tried a 6-3mm Ortho. Ignoring the spectacles issue, I can say that the 12.5mm is excellent with decent ER and could be barlowed to 6.25 if required. All that said, and as good as they are I do tend to see the Orthos and Plossls I have as 'fillers' in between my Radians and my 6-3 zoom. BUT the 12.5mm hits a sweet spot on my scopes most of the time.

Be careful on Ebay although there are some bargains and Skies the Limit is great and sells on Ebay. Keep posting on various threads on this group and after a certain number and a certain amount of time you'll see the for sale section.

also try http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/index.php there's lots of reputable sellers on there too.

one piece of advice. buy slowly and carefully to suit your needs - don't just blow a load of cash - it leads to inevitable disappointment. if you think you have found what you want, ask on here and see what others think. if it sells don't panic, others always come along soon. always justify what you want in your mind before you buy.

Archived