Has anyone else had trouble with Skywatcher Dobs

Hi all,

Just a quick question- has anyone else had problems with dented Skywatcher Dobs? I've had 3 now - the 1st 2 were severely dented, the third less so but still dented.

I have the option to get a 4th and am just wondering if I've been very unlucky or if anyone else has had similar problems. I just want a scope to call my own.

Simon

I had the same problem Simon!

I'm now on my 3rd Skywatcher Dob which thankfully appears undamaged. The first 2 had dents. Basically the packaging is pathetic there is no protection for the OTA tube. I asked First Light Optics if extra packaging could be used for the 3rd OTA delivery but despite Optical Vision (who supply the scopes) having said they would "look into it" the 3rd scope arrived with the same packaging but luckily there are no dents despite a hole in the box. The box had been opened so looks like OV had checked the scope before it was sent out. I'm thinking they are dented when they arrive at OV. I've been told they are shipped to OV stacked on pallets....sounds to me like they are being squashed causing the dents.

Don't own one but it is doubtful that a dent is a standard supplied item :). As you have had 3 I would begin to suspect that at some stage the pallet they were on was mishandled and that several have suffered.

Means unfortunately that whoever received them could have a few in similar state. Perhaps they unfortunately received the whole pallet that had received the worst damage.

Would have hoped that the packaging was sufficent protection however it appears otherwise.

Sounds as if the retailer is fair as they have sent out 3 so far as replacements.

just to rub it it, the other day when my tal was delivered, i was amazed, one outer carton with lots of packing, then a heavy inner carton with the ota mounted on a sheet of 12mm ply.............nicely packed and no damage

No complaints with the retailer but the packaging is definitely the issue as I can identify the causes of all the dents, which is why I posed the question. I have been offered a settlement but I am just wondering if I should persevere and get an un-dented one. Each replacement now is costing me another day of waiting round for Fed Ex. :)

Simon

I'm on my third SW dob and I have not had any denting problems.

The way the OTAs are packaged, I think it is highly unlikely the dents happened whilst in the box, otherwise one would would see damage on the outer package.

It's highly likely the damage happened before packing.

For sure collection and inspection is the only way to guarantee a undamaged scope. I was amazed when I first opened the box to see all that was covering the OTA tube was a plastic bag and a single layer of tissue paper. Hardly suitable for being thrown around in a Fedex Van.

I've visited OVL recently, to pick up a part which hadn't been delivered, and my view is 'be afraid. Be very afraid'.

It is simply a warehouse, where stuff is delivered by the container-load from the ports, and then guys with forklifts shunt the stuff around like paving slabs at B & Q, before shipping it onwards. They're certainly not optical experts, merely a trading company. So it's hardly surprising that equipment gets dented sometimes. What amazes me, though, is how good the Skywatcher stuff generally is, considering the treatment it gets in transit!

Archived