Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Motor focuser or duel speed

Hi everyone sorry to keep harping on about focuser's but they seem such an expense when I already have one on the scope.

Is a duel speed focuser different in anyway to the standard crayford other than the obvious duel speed ? If the only difference is the duel speed and not actual build quality then would I not be better off getting a motor focuser at half the price. This will have adjustable speed and relieve me of the jiggle during manual focus adjustment?

I am also told that low profile type duel speed focuser's suffer from scattered light by design and after shelling out X amount of £'s I would then need to start messing with baffles and finding scraps of protostar to flock the focus tube.

Any and all advice would be appreciated :)

im asking this question on here myself. i was looking at the revelation dual speed one and it was highly recommended but then someone suggested the motorised focuser,i was unsure but then read this review on it and its made me want one instead of the dual speed one.

have a read and see what you think

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-reviews/97578-skywatcher-auto-focuser.html

no probs, glad to help, im just waiting to hear back on my question about it.

i want to know how good it is with the standard rack and pinion.

think im gonna get one though as it sounds perfect to get fine focus without the planet/star wobbling all over the place.

It said in the link it was perfectly fine but would be even better with a crayford. QUOTE "All said and done it's a great little device that's well worth the money. It improves the feel of the standard R&P no end. And if you combine it with one of the crayfords (it fits the new dual speed DS crayfords with an optional adapter plate) you have a zero image shift electric focuser for £50. Bargain!"

Many people have said that a well adjusted R&P is more than suitable for visual. I am yet to hear how to make the adjustments but I have been asking a lot about focuser's the last month with no real replies so I think people are getting sick of my questions :)

Having not used a auto focuser or duel speed I find it hard to comprehend in my mind the pros & cons

I upgraded from a rack and pinion focuser on my Skywatcher dob to an GSO dual speed focuser (Branded Antares). I have found it much better to use than the original one that was supplied with the 'scope, the dual speed made focusing at high magnifications a doddle. There is minimal shaking of the image because you tend to apply very little force to turn the fine focus knob, no need to grip tightly as just a little light twist is all that is needed.

I managed to pick mine up 2nd hand for £65 delivered but they are available new for £90 from Telescope House I think. I had to drill new mounting holes as I didn't have the right baseplate, I understand that Astroboot stock one that fits the hole left by the Skywatcher crayford that'll work fine. I wish I knew that before I drilled the tube now :)

I have no experience of motor focuser so I can't comment on how it compares to a dual speed unit.

Just to throw another option in the pot, how about a Borg helical focuser, im trying to find out what model will fit my omc-140 deluxe.

the borg fits onto the backplate and gives additional fine focus, keeping the original focus unit as a "course" focuser

It's the actual build of the focuser that I question. Given a choice between the manual duel or auto the auto is going to win. But is the build quality of a DS better ? ie more sturdy, better baffled ETC??

The entire fit and finish of the focuser is excellent and a huge improvement of the rack and pinion. The motion is of course a lot smoother in both regular and fine speeds, the drawtube has ridges up it's entire length to minimize light scatter and there are brass compression ring fittings on both the 2" and 1.25" adapters.

The whole unit seems very solidly put together and there is very slop in the drawtube if any at all even when it is fully racked out. Even the focus knobs are better quality, no sharp edged plastic here just smooth rubber grips.

A visit to Stayfocused today and I'm a proud owner of a Revelation duel speed focuser. I have delayed fitting due to astroboot being shut over Xmas but more than happy with the purchase. Missed out on an auto focuser yesterday so that's on hold until another comes up. Have to say the Revelation focuser is a definite improvement over the stock SW focuser. The smoothness and robust feel of the dials coupled with the 1/10 dial makes this feel a more expensive focuser than it actually is. Larger adjustment than what I had originally had in mind comes from a gentle twist of the 1/10 dial. This will make this perfect for that visual fine focus so often needed to tease out that further detail on bright planets. The piano black gloss finish again ads a certain bling of quality that the standard focuser's are so absent of. The main added advantage is the brass compression rings giving that secure but gentle grip on those expensive eye pieces.

There are so many better reviews regarding focuser's on SGL so there is no need for me to add to them but I look forward to seeing how it fairs once I put it through it's paces.

Thanks for peoples advice!

SPACEBOY

Congrats on your purchase, I knew you wouldn't be disappointed with the quality of it. That gloss black finish does make it look the part doesn't it? That one is the same as mine but with a different brand printed on it, it all comes from the same factory in end anyway.

I might buy the SW baseplate from astroboot in the new year and see how it compares to the one that came with the focuser. I drilled the new holes a fitted it before I even knew there was a compatible base for that focuser :)

Thanks for you original advice regards these focusers Shane.

It was quite a shock at the overall feel of quality and for a fare amount less that the retro fit SW DS. Granted I have to buy an adapter plate but thats no big issue. The benefits of this focuser are not just the DS but the build quality has a more robust feel also which is a blessing as a 1.6lb 22 Nag will be soon be hanging out of it.

• 1 month later...

FINALLY!!!!! Managed to get hold of a back plate, Thanks CGolder.

To sort out the problem with stray light associated with after market DS focuser's mounting plates I taped up the edges with some draught excluder tape I picked up from Lidl for £2. I was happy with the out come and it should help stop dust getting in the OTA also.

SPACEBOY

Archived