Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing Report 6/12/2010 - First 'proper' test of my Helios Apollo 15x70s.

Moonshane

Observing Report 6th December 2010 Time : Between 7pm and 12am with breaks for evening meal and Corrie’s Disaster Special.

Location Stockport, England

Equipment – f11 150mm Orion Optics UK Dobsonian, Helios Apollo 15x70 binocular. TV/Baader eyepieces

Main Targets: Jupiter, M1, M78

Annoyingly the mornings have been very good in the week when I don’t have time and then cloudy at the weekends when I do! I really want to see Venus through the scope (my garden faces roughly East and I have not connected with it yet in the eyepiece – although have recently seen the crescent phases in the 15x70s) and also I want to see Saturn in the morning rather than the evening as many suggest the seeing is often better in the early hours before the household heating kicks in and creates plumes of rising heat from the houses that surround my observing site. In fact, in my own garden the vent from the heating creates local problems with turbulence and I am going to create a loose fitting pipe to direct the steam / heat downwards so it can condense and hopefully reduce the problems.

Tonight the transparency was good but unfortunately the seeing was quite poor. However, I wanted to make the most of what has become a rare evening observing opportunity and also check a scope bought for my brother in law (a present from his girlfriend for Christmas). That scope is great and for £100 all in for a 150mm f6 OOUK newt on a Vixen Super Polaris mount and Tal pedestal, he’s got a bargain. I set it up to run in alt-az mode as he will find this easier and he won’t be taking photos. I also find EQ mounts somewhat awkward now that I am used to manual dobs.

The other thing I wanted to do tonight was compare the views with and without my new (to me) Baader Neodymium Filter on Jupiter which was my first target in my own scope. Using the 12.5mm Baader Genuine Ortho, the view without the filter is definitely much more natural and I prefer it in truth (I generally prefer unfiltered views unless I cannot avoid it). There’s a definite colour shift which reduces the warmer tones of Jupiter and makes it very slightly bluer to my eyes (not blue, I stress, but less orange/brown tones). Once you get used to this change, there is definitely more detail visible than without the filter. Unfortunately, the seeing and the fact that Jupiter disappeared over the top of the house rather earlier than I’d hoped meant that I could not perform an extensive test but initial impressions in the short periods where seeing improved suggest that this will be a worthwhile investment.

After a short break for my evening meal, I decided to have a session with my 15x70s. These are mounted on a http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-reviews/110130-manfrotto-682b-monopod-triton-ballhead-action-grip.html (this actual one which I bought off John). This is a very flexible arrangement and what makes it particularly effective is that there’s a set of small tripod legs built into the leg; it can either be used or folded inside. Initially, I preferred the legs folded away but have found that with my http://stargazerslounge.com/members-equipment-gallery/97962-observing-chair.html at the bottom setting I can maintain extremely steady images and even reach the Zenith quite well. Of course, being the eternal meddler I already have some mods planned including a ball joint base fixed to a board upon which you can place your feet. This will allow a good range of movement and a very steady fixing. I am really looking forward to taking these on holidays.

Settled down nicely in the chair (with the obligatory cushion – by the way, a tip for those using removable cushions and wishing to avoid Jack Douglas (of ‘Carry On’ films fame) type convulsions in this cold weather; turn over the cushion before you go into the house for a while or better still take it inside!) I started to have a look round for some targets. Alan (Perrin6) had suggested that although tricky in a scope, M78 (a reflection nebula in Orion) was quite do-able in binoculars. Inspired by this I made this and M1 the Crab nebula in Taurus my main binocular targets of the evening.

That said, I can never resist a look at M45, the Pleiades cluster (or Seven Sisters as some refer to it). This is an object (like many open star clusters) which is really made for 15x70s. It is truly beautiful and although it is a slightly clichéd simile, it really does shine like blue jewels on a black velvet background.

I then moved down through Taurus and found the spot just above Zeta Tauri, where I had previously seen the supernova remnant through the 12”. To my surprise the target was immediately seen and almost as visible in the binoculars as it was in the large dobsonian. Averted vision was required but it was there and quite readily picked out.

Having not seen M44, the Beehive Cluster in Cancer this year yet, I looked for this large open cluster without optical aid initially and just managed to see it despite its low elevation at the time of observing. Another stunning cluster in the 15x70s and I look forward to further views of this later in the year as Cancer rises a little earlier.

Turning to the main event as far as I am concerned, the constellation of Orion. This is my favourite constellation with any instrument and even without the aid of optics. I initially centred my observation on the main nebulae, M42/43. The whole of the sword was easily viewed within the binocular’s 4 degree field. It was truly a wonderful sight. The winged appearance of the nebulae and the massive extent of the feature were well shown against a backdrop of masses of stars. I even managed to split three of the main stars in the Trapezium and I am sure with more time I might even be able to see all four; this really surprised me at such a low magnification. Scanning up above M42/43 I looked at the small but pretty and well-defined, open cluster NGC 1981.

Feeling slightly confident after the Crab Nebula find, I then turned to the area where I know M78 to be. This is a reflection nebula so filters don’t generally help and I managed to find the bright area containing the largest section of luminosity. With averted vision I think I saw the two M10 stars in the centre of the nebula and the whole thing was again more easily located in the binoculars. I suspect at a dark site this would really be quite obvious. If you fancy having a look for this there’s an obvious, almost circular, area of darkness which is almost devoid of stars and this feature is right in the centre of this dark patch in the sky. With this also found I got slightly carried away and looked for the Flame Nebula near to the left hand star in the belt of Orion, Alnitak. I gained an impression of vague nebulosity around the star but even with averted vision could not see any detail at all. Again the three stars of the belt were really lovely set against hundreds of stars. I also managed to split the multiple system of Sigma Orionis into at least two stars of the four I can see readily through the scope.

To finish off the night I had a quick look at more old favourites. The pair of galaxies in Ursa Major, M81 and M82 were easily located, and averted vision really brightened the core of M81. I could not see any detail but am beginning to see why people love large binocular systems so much. I managed to catch the Great Andromeda Galaxy M31 and one of its satellites, M32 before they disappeared over the house. This target is far better at darker sites but still a nice big galactic target at home in my light polluted skies.

The triple open clusters of Auriga, M36, M37 and M38 are very easily found with binoculars and it is always nice to see them so condensed. They seem so much brighter than when viewed in the scope although the 13mm Ethos and 12” dob really do make them shine.

The final target of the night was the open cluster in Gemini, M35. This is a really spectacular cluster through the scope and although it gets slightly lost in the masses of stars in the binoculars, it’s a really nice way to end a binocular-fest.

I am not sure of the quality of the Celestron 15x70s but they are affordable and if they show anything like the images I was seeing with my Helios Apollos then I would urge every astronomer to buy a pair.

Best wishes

Shane :D

cheers Martin

I'd not leave the bins on the mount while not holding them but I find that the legs are stable enough to hold the weight and if I gently lean into the bins, effectively pushing them slightly with my face (sounds worse than it is), the image is rock solid.

I was considering a P mount but I really don't need one now.

Really good report Shane, a great read. Those binoculars are really versatile aren't they? Great for the wide open clusters and nebulae. I must use them on the next clear night to track down M78, which so far has eluded me in my scope.

By the way you're report has reminded to build an observing chair, another project that I have kept putting off for ages and one that really needs doing. I need to get hold of some scrap 2x4 to make the legs and some plywood for the seat. The hinge and the fixings can be sourced easily, and the leg spreader can be some wire or rope until I can get a metal one made, wood could be used as well possibly.

cheers Tom

you'll get M78 if you scan 'up' from Alnitak about a full bino width and you'll see the 'black hole' I mentioned, it's actually quite noticeable and surrounded by a 'ring' of stars. M78 is right in the middle and shows as a brightish patch. good luck mate.

the obs chair will make observing 10x more comfortable. it's a few hours well spent.

I am gonna redo mine at some point but like you it's one of about 30 projects I have planned!!

Ah now I see, looking in Stellarium there seems to be a rough ring of 8 and 9th mag stars with a few 7s that completely surround m78 which is slap bang in the middle. Hopefully that will make it easier for next time with the dob or the binocs, I will deffo try again next time to find this elusive nebula.

Thanks again Shane :)

no worries mate hope you get it!

I found it more easily in the bins, probably as a result of there being no obvious local stars when looking in the scope! once you have found it, you can easily locate it again - I tried several times and went straight to it.

Thank-you for the report Moonshane :)

People pay little attention to dealer endorsemants (quite right too!) but I'll say it anyway! If I had to choose a desert island binocular for astronomy this would be it. At its price, mechanically and optically the Helios Apollo is a benchmark binocular. Very very nice! It is heavy though so a tripod is a must.

Pity they don't offer a 10x50 (though I suspect the William Optics 10x50 comes from the same stable).

Steve

cheers Steve

Of course, I completely agree!

I am delighted that 1) John sold them (due to an unfortunate accident with some other gear) and 2) that I had the funds at the time to buy them.

A good binocular really does give a wonderful view of the sky and given I am virtually banned from taking scopes on family holidays, this gives me the chance to do some real observing in the dark skies of camp sites etc whilst not taking up too much space.

There's no doubt from John's comparison that the Helios are better than the Celestrons but when you consider 'weighted' value for money, they are probably on a par.

For me though, a price paid gets smaller and smaller over time with use (as long as you use whatever it is!).

Best wishes

Shane

Great read Shane.

Binoculars are my only observing tool at the moment. Keep thinking about getting an observing scope but the views from my 3 pairs of bins keep me entertained for ages. I may grab a pair of Helios Apollo's as they do seem to get rave reviews.

Keep the reports coming Shane.

Regards

Our street was absolutely covered in black ice this morning, as were the paths. The rain in the night had fallen onto frozen ground and turned it all into an ice rink. The car slid at an odd angle when it was driven off the driveway onto the road, there was no chance of any car stopping quickly in conditions like that. I wish the council would grit the side streets for once.

Archived