SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Right Chioce?

BeeJay

Hi Everyone,

I have made up my mind what telescope I will be purchasing. I will always keep a soft spot in my heart for my telementor 2 but have decided that instead of giving it the "boy racer"treatment by modding it for todays standards I am going to let it keep its dignity and well earned respect.

I am going to upgrade to a 90mm apochromatic refractor by William Optics. I will be using it mainly for visual observing of the planets and wide field viewing as well as some solar observing.

I do have a desire to enter the realms of imaging as and if the finances ever become available.

If any of my fellow astronomers wish to post a comment on my carefully made choice then feel free........

Clear skies to all.

Its really good to get positive feedback on important decisions. I am most grateful.

I have spent many hours researching the WO scopes and it is with them my decision lies unless I can be persuaded otherwise. Thanks again.

BeeJay

A short focus apo is on my wish list. I've got an Orion ST90 achro. I love its

portability and wide views, but above about 60 - 70x the image gets soft, so

hopefully an apo would sort that. I've looked through a clubmates TV NP 101,

and fell deeply in love instantly !! WO are highly thought of.

Best regards, Ed.

Edit : I fell deeply in love with the scope, not my clubmate !!

I had a Megrez 90 for a while and it was a very nice scope. I only sold it because I found 90mm aperture a little limiting and mounting it was tricky because the "foot" was not compatible with standard mount dovetails - that might have changed with the latest models. I've now settled on an ED 102mm as my "grab and go" scope.

I think the problem for me was that I'd moved to the Megrez 90 from a Skywatcher ED100, thinking that the superior build of the Megrez would somehow "make up" for the 10mm loss in aperture - which it didn't of course :D

WO are decent scopes in most cases. My only beef is that they tend to make their tubes too short, requiring too much draw tube extended. There are many other scopes though, the Teleescope Service 90 being a more modern design and surely worth a look.

Olly

Worth looking at these links Re: the Telescope Service 90mm Triplet APO. Bit more expensive than the Megrez 90 but better optics.

http://stargazerslounge.com/members-equipment-gallery/113169-ts-apo-triplet-90mm-f600.html

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-reviews/116280-ts-apo-triplet-90mm-f600-experiences.html

John

Archived